Samsung’s iPhone killer blows up… literally
Irish user posts pictures of S3 which 'blew up'; Samsung says it will investigate
The Samsung Galaxy S3 may actually be too hot to handle.
A user of the smartphone based in Dublin, Ireland, claimed his phone blew up while he drove in his car.
The pictures, which have not been verified by the company were posted on a website by a user, calling himself Dillo2k10, from Dublin, Ireland.
The pictures show an area of blackened, melted plastic around the charging terminal and the smartphone burning at the base of the unit, near the charging port.
The user said of the Galaxy S3 has already sold more than 10 million models worldwide, “I was driving along with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone.
“I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal.
“The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car.”
“I'm really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It's very dangerous.”
The UK’s Daily Mail reports that Samsung has launched an investigation into the model that has emerged as a real contender to Apple’s iPhone after a spokesman was quoted as saying: “Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.
Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation.”