The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) urged the Indian Supreme Court on Thursday to sustain the six-year jail term sentenced to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt for sourcing a pistol, a rifle and some ammunition from the bombers of the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
The actor's counsel will argue in the court against CBI's demand as to why the conviction should not to even be upheld.
The CBI took this stand before the higest court in India, while supporting its contention against the actor with the proof of tampering with evidence.
The CBI also said that Sanjay Dutt broke the rifle into several pieces before disposing it off.
The hearing was concluded with Dutt’s plea challenging his conviction and the verdict of six-year sentence.
The CBI, which opposed Dutt's appeal but filed none of its own against the acquittal, said the evidence need not be relatable. It said once a confession is made, it could be used to prove guilt for other charges even if it did not yield a conviction under TADA, reports Times of India.
It is likely that the judgment would be reserved once the hearing is complete on Tuesday. If the SC rejects Dutt's appeal and upholds the six-year jail term, he would have to go back to jail and serve his term.
The actor had told the court earlier that his possession of a rifle and ammunition was an act of self-defense and was not linked to the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts.
Dutt was arrested after the serial Mumbai blasts in 1993 and spent 18 months in jail before being granted conditional bail.
In 2007, he was convicted and sentenced to six years’ imprisonment by Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Court (TADA) for possessing a 9mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle.
In August 2007, he challenged his conviction in the Supreme Court and sought bail which was granted in November 2007. Court also allowed him to shoot for his films and even travel abroad with permission as and when needed.