Bali bombing suspect awaits verdict

An Indonesian court is expected to issue a verdict Thursday in the case of a terror suspect known as "demolition man" who is accused of helping to build the car bomb used in the 2002 Bali nightclub attacks.

Prosecutors have sought a life sentence for militant Umar Patek, 45, a leading member of the Al Qaida-linked network Jemaah. He is accused of illegal weapons possession, concealing terrorist acts, immigration violations and premeditated murder in the bombings that killed 202 people on the resort island. Most of the victims were foreign tourists, including 88 Australians and seven Americans.

Patek, who was arrested last year in Pakistan in the same northwestern town where Osama bin Laden was killed several months later, was the last main suspect to be tried in the attacks. He has argued that he did not play a major part in building the car bomb, which was the biggest explosive used in the attacks. Instead, he said bomb-making masterminds Azahari bin Husin and Dulmatin were in charge of that job. Both have since died in police raids.

Patek, whose real name is Hisyam bin Alizein, has apologized to the victims' families and to the government, saying he was not in favor of going through with the attack against partying tourists, but that he could not speak out against other senior members of the group. The mission was supposedly meant to avenge Western policies in the Palestinian territories, but Patek has argued that he never saw the connection.

Patek could face a maximum penalty of death by firing squad for various terror-related and criminal charges. Patek has said the life term prosecutors are seeking is too heavy a penalty and asked for a lighter sentence.

The five-member judge panel at the West Jakarta District Court will also deliberate over Patek's alleged involvement in other terror acts in the country, including  attacks on Christmas Eve 2000 in Jakarta that killed 19.

But the Bali bombings marked Indonesia's deadliest terror strike. On Saturday, Oct 12, 2002, a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a nightclub jammed with tourists at popular Kuta beach, killing many instantly and forcing others to run outside. Another suicide bomber detonated the massive bomb loaded in the car parked on the street in front of two clubs.

Patek has admitted he helped make the bombs, but said he did not know how they would be used. Prosecutors argued he helped assemble the suicide vests as well as detonating cords and boosters connected to the explosives.

He left Bali just before the attacks and spent nine years running from the law, traveling in the Philippines and Pakistan. He had a $1 million bounty on his head and was considered one of Asia's most wanted terror suspects.

Since the Bali bombings, Indonesia — the world's most populous nation — has been rocked by other attacks targeting restaurants, luxury hotels and a Western embassy. Security experts say those have all been less deadly partly because a crackdown on Jemaah has crushed its ranks.

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Follow
Emirates 24|7

Follow
Emirates 24|7
Pinterest Facebook Facebook Twitter RSS

Most Popular in News

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...