UAE’s Telecommunications Regulatory Authority's (TRA) has ruled out granting any further extension for du and etisalat mobile subscribers under the ‘My Number, My Identity’ campaign.
“The deadline is January 16th (today) and there will be no extension,” Majid Al Mesmar, Deputy Director General of TRA, told Emirates 24|7.
Currently, it is only for subscribers of the two telecoms operators, who have been sent the SMS to re-register their numbers.
Speaking to this website, Yasser Al Yousuf, Director, Premium Personal Market, du, said: “We have noticed a rush at all our counters in the past two days.
“We call upon our subscribers to make use of the re-registration service available at our channel partners. We have ensured that the staff there is well-trained.”
It has been reported earlier that du is offering a three-month grace period to the first and second batch of subscribers — those who have been sent an SMS for re-registration.
Those failing will only have their outgoing, and now, SMS service barred; however, the numbers won’t be deactivated.
Etisalat, on Tuesday, stated it had extended working hours across its business centers to help customers meet the deadline of January 16.
The TRA has advised the two telecoms operators to introduce online system for re-registration.
On the issue, Al Mesmar said: “TRA always encourages using electronic tools and services to facilitate the provision of services to customers.
“TRA does not object updating subscribers information online as long as licencees comply with the provisions of the new registration requirements.”
He added in case of deactivation, the charges/penalty that the subscriber will have to pay to reactivate his numbers will be a contractual matter between the subscriber and the service provider.