Two men killed on Emirates Rd were drunk

Dubai traffic chief says it was no driver’s fault

Two Indian men who were killed while crossing Dubai’s Emirates Road last week were drunk and should not have tried to walk on a busy motorway, Dubai’s traffic police chief was reported on Thursday as saying.

Major General Mohamemd Al Zafin said the accident occurred around six pm on Friday when an Emirati driver, in his 20s, was heading for Sharjah.

Quoted by Emirat Alyoum Arabic language daily, he said the driver was caught off guard when the two men emerged from nowhere and tried to cross the road in the area just opposite an Etisalat tower on Emirates Road.

He said the traffic department had ordered what he described as a detailed and comprehensive investigation on the grounds pedestrians are strictly not allowed to cross a speedway, adding that a large fence has been erected there for this purpose.

"Medical tests showed the two were under the influence of alcohol when they crossed the road,” he told the paper.

“This absolves that driver of any responsibility…laws in the United States and Europe deal with such cases to ensure drivers would not be extorted by persons deliberately involved in accidents or those who try to commit a suicide…it was not the driver’s fault on Emirates Road but of course he shoulders part of the responsibility under the law.”

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Follow
Emirates 24|7

Follow
Emirates 24|7
Pinterest Facebook Facebook Twitter RSS

Most Popular in News

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...