Crazy World: Mum drives with baby in purse

Woman driving a pick-up was pulled over during routine traffic stop

US: Police in the US Virgin Islands say they have caught a woman driving with her newborn baby zipped up in her handbag.

A police statement says an officer pulled over a woman driving a pick-up during a routine traffic stop.

While asking for the woman's licence, the officer heard a baby crying but could not see a baby seat in the vehicle.

The motorist then allegedly unzipped her handbag which was on the seat next to her and revealed a tiny newborn.

Police say the woman told them that the baby girl was born at home a week ago and had no prenatal care. She was apparently driving the baby to a doctor.

Authorities rushed the newborn to hospital. The mother may face criminal charges. Her name and age were not disclosed.

 

Man opens plane door at 'mum's' request

VIETNAM: A mom with a screaming child wanted a quick getaway from a plane on the tarmac in Vietnam and asked for help. The man next to her obliged by opening the emergency exit and triggering the escape slide.

But that’s as far as they got.

A state media report on Tuesday’s incident at Ho Chi Minh City airport says nobody used the slide. It wasn’t clear if they got second thoughts or if the cabin crew intervened.

The man, identified as 29-year-old Le Van Thuan, told authorities the child’s mother asked him to open the door so she and the child could exit faster.

An airport official says the man will be fined up to $950, and it will cost $10,000 to refit the slide.

 


Mother commits suicide after father punishes daughter

INDIA: A woman committed suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling fan because her husband punished their daughter for performing badly in her school exams.

The 38-year-old woman was upset after the father treated their daughter badly for faring poorly in her grade 9 science exam, reports Press Trust of India.

The father had threatened to send the daughter to stay at her aunt's place.

The father-daughter duo were not at home when the woman took her own life.

The mother was discovered when the couple's 10-year-old son was locked out of the house and nobody responded even when he rang the bell repeatedly. The neighbours broke the door to enter their house and they discovered the dead woman inside.

 

Death by octopus takes a twist

SOUTH KOREA: A south Korean has been arrested for allegedly killing his girlfriend who was initially believed to have accidentally suffocated while eating a live octopus.

After an investigation lasting many months the suspect identified only as Kim was formally arrested for murder last Friday, prosecutor Lee Geon-Tae at Incheon city, west of Seoul, said.

Kim will be charged within the next 10 days, he said.

''He's still denying the charge ... we believe enough evidence has been collected to charge him,'' the prosecutor said without elaborating.

The suspect, now 31, checked into an Incheon motel with his girlfriend in April 2010 after buying two live octopuses from a local restaurant.

The man later called reception to say his girlfriend had collapsed and stopped breathing after eating one of them.

She was taken to hospital but died 16 days later due to brain damage.

Her family initially believed the 24-year-old woman with the surname Yoon suffocated after a tentacle was found stuck in her throat.

Her body was later cremated.

But Ms Yoon's father later discovered the daughter had signed up for a life insurance policy a week before her death, with Kim as the beneficiary.

The story came to light after a TV station last year aired an interview with the father, who in September 2010 had asked prosecutors to investigate Kim.

Incheon police re-opened the case and questioned Kim, who collected 200 million won ($A182,600) in insurance money but denied any involvement in Yoon's death.

Police said earlier they suspected Kim might have stuffed the octopus into Yoon's throat or choked her with some other object such as a pillow.

Nakji, a small octopus native to Korean and Chinese waters, is a Korean delicacy with people swallowing still-wriggling portions.

 


Gunman shot victims execution-style

US: A Korean-American former student accused of killing seven people at a private Christian college in California lined up his victims and shot them execution-style.

The 43-year-old planned the killings after being expelled from the college near San Francisco.

He was "upset" at staff and other students and had displayed "no remorse", a senior officer said.

Police were holding the suspect in the fatal shootings that took place on Monday at Oikos University in Oakland, which stunned the tightly knit Korean-American community in the area.

"This was a calculated, cold-blooded execution in the classroom," Oakland police chief Howard Jordan told CNN.

The suspect, identified here as One Goh and by South Korea's Yonhap news agency as Ko Won-Il, opened fire with a .45 calibre handgun, according to local media reports.

"We learned from the suspect and witnesses he was distraught because he was picked on ... He planned (the attack) several weeks in advance," Jordan told the local Fox affiliate KTVU.

Goh had difficulty speaking English, he said, adding: "He was so upset he went out and purchased a weapon and had every intent to kill people."

Although co-operating with officers, "he has not shown any remorse", he added.

As well as the massacre scene, investigators focused on a location a few kilometres away where they were searching "for firearm, believed to have been used and discarded yesterday by suspect", according to the police Twitter feed.

Details of the shooting emerged a day after the gunman allegedly walked into a building housing Oikos University, took a receptionist hostage and then sought out a particular female administrator.

When he realised the administrator was not in the building, he shot the secretary and then lined students up against a wall and shot them one by one, Jordan told CNN.

"I'm going to kill you all," the gunman allegedly told the students.

Six women and a man - all students at the school, aged 21 to 40 - were killed in the rampage. Jordan said they were from Nigeria, Nepal and Korea.

"This happened within minutes," Jordan said. "We don't think the victims had any opportunity to resist, any opportunity to surrender."

The gunman then walked out of the classroom, reloaded his automatic weapon, and fired into several classrooms before driving off in a victim's car to neighbouring Alameda, California, he said.

He said the gunman then called his parents and surrendered to police who arrived on the scene.

The suspect was a former student at the Christian college and complained to police that he had been treated disrespectfully by staff members, Jordan said.

"He was having some behavioural problems at the school and was asked to leave several months ago," Jordan said in a separate interview with ABC television, adding that he was co-operating with investigators.

"We've learned this was a very chaotic, calculated and determined gentleman that came there with the specific intent to kill people," Jordan said.

Some 35 people were in or near the building at the time. Of those, 10 were hit and five were pronounced dead at the scene. Two others died later in hospital. Survivors were found hiding in locked and darkened rooms.

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan said the city was trying to recruit more Korean-speaking grief counsellors, saying the shooting "will leave the community asking questions for a long time".

The Oakland Tribune reported that the suspect's brother, US Army Sergeant Su Wan Ko, died in a traffic accident in Virginia in March 2011 while on special assignment from a research institute in Germany.

 

(Image courtesy: Shutterstock)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Follow
Emirates 24|7

Follow
Emirates 24|7
Pinterest Facebook Facebook Twitter RSS

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...