Liverpool fans worst nightmare? Back to Rafa

Andre Villas-Boas also remains in the mix

Liverpool will continue their hunt for a successor to Kenny Dalglish after Frank de Boer became the latest candidate to snub the Anfield job.

De Boer turned down the chance to speak to Liverpool as he feels he has an unfinished job at his current club, despite winning back-to-back league titles having taken over from Martin Jol in 2010.

"I am honoured by the request but I have only just started with Ajax," the 42-year-old former Holland international told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

"In Amsterdam, we are on a new path and I, along with Wim Jonk and Dennis Bergkamp - my colleagues on the technical side - want to bring success.

"That's why I will stay loyal to Ajax in the coming years."

Marseille coach Didier Deschamps also ruled himself out by saying he expects to be in charge of the Ligue 1 club for the start of pre-season training.

"It is expected that I be there next season," he told French journalists.

"When it goes badly, there is need to recharge. I will leave on vacation but it is expected that I be there (Marseille) for July 2."

Swansea's Brendan Rodgers and Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp have already stated their intentions to remain with their clubs next season.

Fenway Sports Group's American owners are determined to thoroughly examine all avenues to find the right man to succeed Dalglish.

There is no dearth of managerial talent with former England manager Fabio Capello available. 

Former Porto and Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas remains one of the favourites while Wigan's Roberto Martinez has also been given permission to speak with Principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner.

But former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez who had a successful stint at Anfield and led Inter Milan to a Club World Cup title in 2010, could be the choice of the fans.

Click to read Gerrard taps Ruddy in Dubai?

Click to read Schevchenko lined up for Chelsea job
 

Liverpool to lose Suarez, keep Carroll

Liverpool's record signing Andy Carroll may escape the guillotine but Luis Suarez and Martin Skrtel may be on their way out of Anfield.

Recalled England striker Carroll has seen a change in his fortunes in the latter part of the season.

But the club's American owners have launched an austerity drive to offset the loss of failing to qualify for the Champions League for a third successive season.

Fenway Sports Group want to introduce a five-year plan to bring success back to a club that has been plunged into chaos by Kenny Dalglish’s departure. After backing the Kop legend to the tune of £120 million during his 16-month tenure, the Americans are looking for a man to target young, inexpensive talent and bring through graduates from the academy.

The plan to slash the transfer budget is unlikely to impress Suarez and Skrtel when they open talks about new contracts this summer.

Suarez has been targeted by Italian champions Juventus and their rivals AC Milan and has admitted that he would like to experience life in Italy or Spain – while player-of-the-season Skrtel is wanted by Fiorentina, according to the Sunday Mirror.

Liverpool are planning to offer the pair – and defender Daniel Agger – new deals in a bid to block any foreign interest.

Suarez's ambition when he joined from Ajax last year was to see Liverpool win the Champions League.

But Liverpool finished eighth in the Premier League – a massive 37 points behind champions Manchester City and 17 points adrift of the top four.

To add to their woes, the Kop image took a battering when Suarez was found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

The incident was partly resonsible for Dalglish's downfall after he staunly defended the controversial striker for his actions.

Little wonder Suarez is looking for an exit strategy and admitted last week that he considered a move out of England.

He said: “I hope to play in Spain in the future because together with the English and Italian leagues, it is the best in the world.”

Juventus are ready to offer the 25-year-old an escape route to Serie A and are willing to pay up to £30m as they look to make an assault on the Champions League, the report added.

Sktrel has resisted Fiorentina’s overtures for the past 12 months, but the Italians are expected to return with an offer of £20m.

The 28-year-old Slovakian centre-back will be unwilling to spend the peak years of his career at a club whose future looks uncertain.

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Most Popular on Emirates 24|7

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7