Suarez relaxed about Old Trafford return

Liverpool forward was hit with a lengthy ban last year

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez took a swipe at the English media on Tuesday as he prepared to return to Old Trafford for the first time since his spat with Patrice Evra last season.

The Liverpool forward was hit with a lengthy ban last year after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United defender Evra during a match at Anfield in October.

Suarez then triggered a fresh firestorm of controversy in the return fixture at Old Trafford when he pointedly refused to shake Evra's hand.

However Suarez is relaxed about his return to Manchester this week as Uruguay kick off their Olympic campaign against the United Arab Emirates.

"I am representing Uruguay and that's all that matters to me," Suarez said. "I said before that the English press is what matters least to me. I am proud to represent my country."

Suarez also brushed off suggestions that he might benefit from the experience of having played at Old Trafford before.

"I don't really know Old Trafford that well," he said. "I have played one match there. I have played just once at many stadiums, so I don't have to give advice to anyone on the stadiums we play at.

"It's a great stadium. What we have to do is play football at a spectacular ground."

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Most Popular on Emirates 24|7

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7