‘Exploding’ Samsung Galaxy S3 owner confesses to microwaving it

Admits to “stupid mistake” of microwaving the phone to recover from water damage

Remember how the newly launched Samsung Galaxy S3 came under fire – literally – after a woman in Ireland claimed her phone spontaneously burst into flames?

Samsung has completed investigations into the incident, and have concluded that the device was – believe this – microwaved!

This is what the investigation results, posted by Samsung on its official blog, state: “The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner’s damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave.”

Mysteriously, the owner has, for want of better words, owned up to mischief, and now says the phone wasn’t at fault for blowing up in her face. This is what she has confessed on Boards.ie, a bulletin board where she originally alleged that the Galaxy S3 blew up without any rhyme or reason.

Now, in her updated post (the old post seems to have been deleted), she says: “I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.”

She adds: “I am unable to comment any further.”

Samsung Electronics, on its official blog, says that “an external energy source was the cause for the Galaxy SIII that appeared to have heat-related damage.”

The company says it contracted Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organisation, to determine the exact cause of the damage inflicted on a Galaxy SIII unit, which had allegedly been affected by heat.

“The damaged device and additionally provided devices were examined and exposed to a series to tests. The investigation summary states that ‘The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device’ and ‘the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire.’”

According to the FIUK investigation results posted on the Samsung blog, “based upon the observed physical damage to the internal components, in particular the electronic components … the heat does not appear to have been generated from energy within the device but from an external source.”


Samsung to smash iPhone 5 August launch with Galaxy Note 2: Report

24 hours to global internet shutdown


Faster, thinner cheaper: Apple's new iPad Mini this year

  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus


Most Popular in Business


  • Diner serves up tarantula burger

    A woman faced her fear of spiders by eating a tarantual burger at a diner in North Carolina. The bizarre dish has

  • Elephant spotted smoking

    A group of conservationists spotted an elephant smoking large lumps of charcoal and claim it was for medicinal purposes

Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...

Happiness Meter Icon