Care for some maggots with your McBurger?

Picture used for illustrative purposes only. (GETTY IMAGES)

AUSTRALIA: McDonald's has launched an investigation into how maggots allegedly found their way into a Melbourne man's burger.

The burger giant wants to use a laboratory to investigate Leigh Savage's claims that his Big Mac, which he had purchased from a Frankston store, had "20 to 30" maggots crawling over the meat patties.

Savage told Herald Sun he only checked his burger to ensure "it had the extra pickles" he had ordered.

While the pickles were there, he claims so were the unwanted bugs.

He took the matter to police, who said they were powerless to act.

"It is just disgusting - the only reason I looked in my burger was to make sure the extra pickles were there and I was all like, there's maggots in my burger," he told the daily.

"My mate didn't believe me, no one believed me until they saw it."

The maggots were still visible and moving during an inspection, the paper revealed.

Savage said there was no way the maggots made it into his burger during the trip home - as suggested by McDonald's - as the bag "remain done up tight".

Savage claims McDonald's staff laughed when he told them of his discovery.

"I just wanted a refund, that's it," he said.

A McDonald's spokeswoman said: "When we receive the product we will provide it to the University of Wollongong laboratories for testing."

She said the tests could take a month.

Savage insists he just wants an apology and a refund for his burger, but he is still deciding whether to hand it over for tests.

"It's just disgusting, (I'm) never eating there again."

The bizarre find is just one example of weird things found in foods around the world.

In January last year, a woman in Northern Ireland discovered part of an oven glove baked into a slice of bread.

The loaf had been bought from a local shop. The bread company was fined 750 pounds ($1205).

In September 2009 a man in Florida, US, apparently gagged on his Diet Pepsi after swallowing a "disgusting" blob.

The US Food Drug and Administration tested the drink and concluded that the foreign matter appeared to be a frog or toad.

"The animal was lacking internal organs normally found in the abdominal and thoracic cavity," the report stated.

In November 2007, an American woman apparently found a chicken head in one of her child's McDonald's Happy Meals.

The chicken head was allegedly contained with a box of chicken nuggets. The manager offered them their meal for free and two more weeks of free meals. But it's believed the mother pressed charges and demanded compensation.

Print Email