Bad shawarma kills three-year old boy in Sharjah

Cafeteria faces investigation after food poisoning case

In a case of alleged food poisoning, a three-year old Indian boy died in Sharjah.

The incident took place on July 26 when Antony Aloysious ordered a shwarma from his neighbourhood cafeteria for his son, Maryan Antony.

The family live in the Al Qasmia area of Sharjah near the cricket stadium, and according to a source close to the family Maryan complained of stomach pain and began vomiting after eating shawarma.

“By midnight, the child started showing serious signs of food poisoning. Antony works for a construction company in Al Ruwais and hails from Moolamkuzhy, Ernakulam, Kerala.

“The boy was taken to a private clinic near the cricket stadium,” the source told Emirates 24|7.

The boy was then admitted to the Al Qasmiya Hospital, Sharjah where he eventually died.

The child’s mother and one sibling, who have not been identified as yet also ate the shawarma and fell sick.

However, they recovered from the food poisoning.

The child’s body has already been repatriated for burial at the Fort Kochi Church.

Speaking to this website, Salam Pappanassery, of Consolidated Advocates, a law firm that the father has hired to pursue the case, said, “The boy was admitted to hospital with dehydration due to food poisoning.

“The cafeteria, near Abu Shagara in Sharjah, is facing an investigation as the medical report confirmed the death due to food poisoning.”

Emirates 24|7 is in possession of the medical report issued by the UAE Department of Health and Preventive Medicine, which states that the 3-year old boy died on July 28 due to cardio respiratory arrest stemming from dehydration due to food poisoning.

Food poisoning has been in the news for some time now as UAE health officials have warned the public to be careful of what they eat and from where due to the extreme temperatures in summer right now.




Dad hears gunshots, finds wife, 2 kids dead

  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus


  • Diner serves up tarantula burger

    A woman faced her fear of spiders by eating a tarantual burger at a diner in North Carolina. The bizarre dish has

  • Elephant spotted smoking

    A group of conservationists spotted an elephant smoking large lumps of charcoal and claim it was for medicinal purposes

Most Popular in News

Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...

Happiness Meter Icon