2.32 AM Sunday, 1 October 2023
  • City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
  • Dubai 04:54 06:07 12:11 15:33 18:09 19:23
01 October 2023

Man dies from inhaling suspected pest spray

By Joseph George

A neighbour’s carelessness in forgetting to close his apartment window allegedly caused the death of an Indian living in a bachelor accommodation in Deira, Dubai.

KM Suresh, 26, from Kasargod in Kerala, died on his way to hospital last week. According to one of his friends, the postmortem report is expected on Sunday, when the exact cause of the death will be revealed.

Bengali nationals living in the neighbouring apartment had used pest control sprays in their flat, but failed to inform their neighbours. Neither did they fully close the window in their room that opened into their neighbour's apartment.

Suresh along with his roommate Mohanan were sleeping in their room in Naif area in Deira when they took ill. Suresh started vomiting blood and Mohanan fainted. Both of them were immediately rushed to hospital. But Suresh died before he could reach the hospital. The condition of Mohanan is said to be stable.

Speaking to Emirates 247 from India Purushe said Suresh had been working in Dubai for the last one and half years. “Both his brothers are in the Gulf. His family is devastated. They are in a state of shock as this freaky accident could have been easily avoided.”

According to sources police have taken the Bengali nationals into custody and are investigating the incident.

Authorities have on several occasions warned pest control companies against using fake pesticides and also warned residents from using such services.

Recently two people were killed in Sharjah in a similar incident after they were exposed to poisonous pesticides.

According to media reports Sharjah Municipality has issued warnings to pest control companies flouting the norms by threatening them with a warning and Dh500 and Dh,1000 fines for the next two consecutive offences, before issuing closure order.