Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s UAE visit has received overwhelming response. The organising committee issued an alert that registering online is not a guarantee for admission into the Dubai Cricket Stadium where Modi is expected to address a big gathering of Indian expats on August 17.
A press statement issued by Marhaba-Namo said that online registration through a dedicated website www.namoindubai.ae does not ensure entry to the stadium where a grand reception awaits the Indian premier.
“The organising committee has decided that to enable common people to participate, it is important to make entry free. A website www.namoindubai.ae has been opened for registration for the event,” K. Kumar and B.R. Shetty, members of the organising committee, said in the statement, adding that “it is emphasised that registration does not guarantee access to the event which is on first come first entry basis.”
“Gates of the stadium will be closed as soon as it is filled to capacity,” the statement added.
While the number of people who have registered online is yet to be disclosed, it is learnt that last week the number crossed 40,000, forcing the organising committee to convene an emergency meeting and issue the statement about no assured entry.
Many people who registered early, thinking they may get to meet Modi, may be disappointed on Monday.
“In any case the last person to be allowed into the stadium will be at 6.30pm,” the statement said.
Transport arrangements have been made from various metro stations to the venue of the event.
According to one official source, about 200 buses have been arranged to provide shuttle bus service and parking has also been arranged.
The gates of the stadium will open much in advance and will close at 6.30pm, to be followed by the official programme which includes a one-hour cultural show followed by Modi’s speech at around 8pm.
He will be spending much of his time in Abu Dhabi where he will land on August 16 after the Independence Day programmes back home in India.
He will fly from Abu Dhabi to Dubai on August 17 and after his public programme in Dubai Cricket Stadium, he will fly home from Dubai.
"I got my online registration confirmed and I thought I will be there. But now I have second thoughts about attending the programme," said Nassir P.
Children below five years of age will not be allowed in and bringing of food, cameras and video cameras will be restricted.
“Around 40,000 food packets will be ready for visitors.
“There will be free water and some areas of the cricket stadium will not be open to the public for security reasons. Giant screens will be displayed outside the stadium for people unable to enter the stadium,” the organisers said.