Kuwait detains driver that took bomber to mosque - Emirates24|7

Kuwait detains driver that took bomber to mosque

Mourners pray over the bodies of the victims of the Al Imam Al Sadeq mosque bombing, during a mass funeral at Jaafari cemetery in Kuwait City on June 27, 2015. (AFP)

Kuwait has detained the driver of the vehicle that took a suicide bomber to a mosque where he detonated explosives, killing 27 people, state news agency Kuna said on Sunday.

Abdulrahman Sabah Eidan Saud, a driver who transported a suicide bomber to the Shiite Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque in Kuwait City where he blew himself up, killing 26 and injuring 227 people, according to the ministry. (AFP/HO/Kuwait Interior Ministry)

The interior ministry said the driver of the Japanese-made car, who left the mosque immediately after Friday's bombing, was an illegal resident named Abdul-Rahman Sabah Aidan, Kuna reported.

Daesh claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing against 2,000 worshippers praying at the Imam Al Sadeq mosque on Friday, one of three attacks on three continents that day apparently linked to Daesh.

Jarrah Nimr Mejbil Ghazi the owner of a car used by Abdulrahman Sabah Eidan Saud a driver who transported a suicide bomber to the Al-Imam Al-Sadeq mosque in Kuwait City where he blew himself up, killing 26 and injuring 227 people, according to the ministry. (AFP/HO/Kuwait Interior Ministry)

The interior ministry, which had earlier reported the vehicle owner's arrest, said Aidan, 26, was found hiding in one of the houses in the Al Riqqa residential area.

"Initial investigations showed that the owner of the house is a supporter of the deviant thinking," the ministry said, adding that the owner of the house is a Kuwaiti citizen.

Daesh named the bomber as Abu Suleiman Al Muwahed.

ALSO READ:

Kuwait mosque bomber identified as Saudi national

UAE stands by Kuwait to combat terrorism

UAE condemns Friday attacks

Comments

Comments