Honeymoon husband: I didn't kill my bride

The husband of the honeymoon beauty shot dead by carjackers wept last night at slurs he was involved, sobbing: "How could anyone say I killed her?"

Brit millionaire Shrien Dewani, 30, broke down after South African cops nicked the driver of the cab the couple were in for arranging the ambush, The Sun reported on Tuesday.

The care home tycoon's kidnapped bride Anni, 28, was blasted in the neck by the bandits.

Shattered Shrien told The Sun: "It was the end of my world. I feel like I've been robbed of the rest of my life."

Shrien poured out his anguish to about the nightmare after whispers about his involvement.

The sobbing care home boss - now back in the UK where his business PSP Healthcare is millions in debt owing to an ambitious investment drive - said of Swedish Anni: "I'd searched high and low for my perfect partner.

"Anni was the 'One'. Her looks, her laughter her personality, her spirit - everything about her was right for me. Why would I want to kill her? People who suggest this could not have seen us together. Saying I was somehow involved simply defies logic."

Yesterday cops in Cape Town rubbished press speculation about "inconsistencies" in his account of Anni's kidnap - centering on how he escaped injury when thrown from their hijacked taxi.

Police chief General Bheki Cele again stressed the Brit was not a suspect.

Last night the driver of the cab - kicked out of the car after it was ambushed by two gunmen - was behind bars accused of murder. Zola Tongo, 31, was hauled before a court and also charged with kidnap and robbery.

Police who have also arrested two suspects in the carjacking claim he tipped them off about where he was taking the newlyweds.

Reliving the hell last night, shattered Shrien, of Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, said: "We'd just had a wonderful sushi dinner. We were on our way home to our hotel when our driver asked whether we'd like to see some African dancing on our way. It was late and we were hugging each other on the back seat and going through photographs from the safari trip we'd just been on. We weren't really thinking of anything but each other and sort of said, 'Whatever'."

He added: "We liked and trusted the driver."

After swinging by a restaurant which the cabbie pointed out as a favourite of Jamie Oliver's, the VW Sharan taxi stopped to make a right turn. Shrien said: "I suddenly became conscious of a loud banging noise - then looked up and saw an African man furiously hammering an automatic pistol on the windscreen.

"I thought the glass would break. The next thing I knew one man had shoved Zola on the passenger seat and got behind the wheel - while another with a gun was next to me and Anni. I tried to cover Anni with my body. She started to scream and cry out hysterically. The robber put the pistol to my temple and stripped my £2,000 Rado watch from my wrist. I handed him 5,000-6,000 Rand (£500) and begged him to let us both go.

"Anni whispered to me in Gujarati so they couldn't understand that she had hidden her wedding and engagement ring. All I could think about was saving our lives."

He tried to hide his mobile phone from the carjackers by stuffing it down his underpants so he could later call for help.

But one robber searched him and found it. Shrien said: "He coldly put the muzzle of his gun into my ear and said: Lie to me again and I will kill you both. I looked into his eyes and I knew instantly he was crazy enough to do it.

"They dumped Zola after a few minutes and then started roaring around at crazy speeds smashing over speed bumps and almost losing control. Anni got more and more hysterical. I thought we were both going to be killed in a crash. They just kept going faster and faster - as she screamed louder and louder."

The car pulled over - and the carjackers dragged Shrien from his screaming bride. He sobbed: "I was clinging to Anni for all I was worth - begging them to let us both get out of the car together. But they wouldn't listen. I was thrown on to the sandy ground at the side of the road. I looked up to see the car disappearing into the darkness with my lovely wife still inside. I had no money, no phone. I was shocked and didn't know what to do standing in the dark in the middle of nowhere."

Shrien told how he hammered in vain at the doors of slum shacks - then found help from a local who was parking his car on his drive.

The newlyweds' terror ride had lasted 40 minutes - and it was another 20 before police arrived.

Shrien was driven back to the five-star Cape Grace Hotel on Cape Town's waterfront.

Cabbie Tongo joined him as they told cops what had happened.

A police helicopter was scrambled to join every available squad car in a search of the township area. Anni was found dead in the dumped taxi at 7am. The graduate had been cold-bloodedly executed with a single bullet to the neck.

Print Email