Crazy World: Boy, 8, brings gun to class...

8-year-old sells loaded pistol to classmate for $3.50


New York:  An eight-year-old in US brought into school his father's loaded 9-mm pistol and sold to a classmate for USD 3.50.

The third-grader from Queens, New York, took the gun from the top of a shelf where his father hid it for protection, police officials said yesterday.

Three live rounds were in the pistol when the boy brought it into school on Thursday and sold it to a fellow student, New York Daily reported.

"The whole idea of a second- or third-grader carrying a loaded firearm into a crowded school and selling it is very disturbing on so many levels," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

The gun's serial number had been scratched off, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.

Ignacio Galvan, 54, who is the father of the boy, was awaiting arraignment in Queens Criminal Court on charges that included criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child.

The boy is facing weapons possession charges in Queens Family Court.

Officials found out about the gun sale when the mother of the boy who purchased it called the school.

The boy who bought the gun has been suspended, Kelly said.

Parents were grateful neither of the boys decided to try out the weapon.

Boy sucked into tornado... LIVES to tell tale


ALABAMA: He is the boy who got sucked up into a tornado – and lived to tell the tale.

Eight-year-old Reginald Epps Jr was picked up off his feet and pulled into the swirling darkness when one of the Alabama twisters tore through his home.

As his family cowered beneath him he was carried through the air some 30ft before being set down again with just cuts and bruises.

When the wind died down his terrified family looked up to see him walking towards them – and were stunned to see he was still alive.

Reginald Jr, known as RJ, was at home in Coaling, Alabama when the tornado swept through at 200mph.

At home were his father Reginald, 35, mother Danielle, 36, and brothers James and Joel, six and four.

Speaking from his hospital bed in the Regional Medical Centre in Tuscaloosa, Mr Epps said that the family were watching the TV when they heard the tornado could be coming towards them.

The firefighter said: 'It was just after 5pm and I was due to be at work an hour later, but I thought I'd wait and see what was going to happen.

'I had just got some flashlights for me and my wife and we were all in the kitchen when we heard the wind pick up. Then the windows at the back of the house blew out, it was like they popped.

'I shouted at RJ to get up and come with us to the bedroom but when we made it in this roar started.

'I looked up and the walls and the roof came away and RJ few off with them.

'It happened in an instant, he just got sucked away from me. I tried to reach up for him but I couldn't stop him. It was like he was on a bit of string being pulled from behind.

'Then I got down on top of James whilst Danielle got on top of Joel to protect them. I got hit by flying glass and other stuff and we held on and prayed for our lives.

'Danielle was saying: 'God, protect us! God protect us!' and I said to James in his ear, I will never forget his face: 'It's OK buddy, I'm here for you, I'll protect you'.'

After just 30 seconds the tornado passed on, leaving their home utterly destroyed.

Mr Epps said: 'When it settled down I could see this dark silhouette walking towards us and realised it was RJ.

'I couldn't believe it.

'I shouted: 'Hey! Come here' and he came towards us and we huddled together for a bit longer until I was sure it was over.'

Mr Epps, RJ and James were all taken to hospital and the children were released that day with just cuts and bruises.

Mr Epps is still being treated for a punctured lung, three fractured ribs and cuts and bruises.

Leaking house calls police for help


Massachusetts: You may have heard of house calls, but this is ridiculous.

After months of enduring a leaking pipe that buckled its floors and sagged its ceilings, an empty Massachusetts house somehow called police for help.

The Salem News reports the emergency call went out to police from a house in Marblehead after water short-circuited the phone system, apparently sparking the emergency call.

Officers were sent to the address after the call was recorded as a hang up and a return call got static.

Inside, they found the wreckage, including potentially toxic mold, from a pipe that apparently burst during the winter.

Town officials say the interior may have to be gutted.

Police couldn't immediately locate owner James Cowen. His cousin, William Cowen, said he's not worried. He says James was left financially secure by his father and often travels.

YouTube inspired robbery lands Delhi duo in jail


New Delhi: They watched several videos of ATM robbery on YouTube to plan their heists but two engineering aspirants landed in police net here early Friday morning soon after they attempted one.

The duo Hardik Shrivastava and Chanchal Gupta belongs to lower middle class families and wanted to secure admission in a "good" engineering college which allegedly prompted them to commit robbery to fund their aspirations.

"We arrested them this morning after a patrolling party found them in suspicious conditions in a park near Ghanta Ghar in Hari Nagar," DCP (West) V Renganathan said.

According to Renganathan, the duo had appeared in various competitive exams and allegedly wanted to get some fast money to secure admission in a good engineering college.

"They belong to lower middle class families. Father of Gupta is an auto driver while Hardik's mother is a school teacher and father a production manager in a factory in Noida. Both of them watched different videos on after searching for videos titled 'ATM robbery' and planned their action accordingly," he said.

All started when a patrolling team found a motorcycle parked in the bushes alongside the wall of the park. The two boys were found sitting inside the park and they started running in opposite directions on seeing the police party.

"Both of them were given a chase and apprehended. They were found carrying two bags in which there were drill machine, screw drivers, hammer and torch. They told they had tried to break open an ATM machine.

"Initially they tried to mislead police but finally took them to an Indian Bank ATM situated at market complex of Janakpuri where it was found that the machine had been broken with the covers lying on the floor," Renganathan said. CCTV cameras installed inside the ATM was found damaged.

The youths had taken the toolkit of Hardik's father bag and tested the drill machine and made a plan to drill inside an ATM machine to steal the cash.

"They also surveyed the area and zeroed in on the ATM as there was no guard and the entry in the ATM was through swiping of any debit or credit card and it was in a secluded place.

"Hardik procured debit card of his grandmother to secure entry in the ATM. They smashed the CCTV camera immediately after entering the ATM. After that they tried to break open the ATM machine by drill and hammer," Renganathan said.

They could only succeed in breaking open the upper front portion of the machine and the vault having the cash proved too strong to be break open through the drill. They tried for some time but on hearing some noises around they left the ATM and ran from there and sat in the park waiting for the day-break where they were caught, he said.

Print Email