Girl gets auto-injected in a hotel bed

Parents worried about diseases she may have picked up

A Puyallup family is worrying about diseases their 9-year-old daughter could have picked up when she was stuck by a syringe in an Aberdeen motel bed.
Angie Smith told KOMO-TV the needle poked Emily in the right heel Friday night at the GuestHouse Inn and Suites in Aberdeen where the family was attending a softball tournament.
They went to a hospital and were told she may have to have blood tests for a year for diseases.
Aberdeen Police Capt. John Green says an officer responded and found two syringes under a mattress pad. He says it was a medical issue, not a criminal case.
Motel manager Angel Housden says the family refused an offer of another room and was upset when they were charged Sunday for the weekend stay.


Tigers find mutt mother

Two Siberian tiger cubs abandoned in Russia by their mother have found an unusual wet nurse a wrinkled, sand-colored Shar Pei dog named Cleopatra, a zoo worker said Wednesday.
The cubs were born late May in a zoo at the Oktyabrsky health resort in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
Zoo assistant director Viktoria Kudlayeva said the dog immediately gave the cubs all her attention.
"She accepted them right away," Kudlayeva said in a telephone interview. "She's cleaning them and breast feeding them as if they were her own. And they also sleep together."
The cubs named Clyopa, after their adopted mother, and Plyusha are also being fed goat's milk.
Kudlayeva said that the cubs pose no danger to the dog even though they are already showing their claws and hissing.
"They aren't aggressive and they depend on her for feeding," she said.
Fewer than 400 Siberian tigers also known as Ussuri, Amur or Manchurian tigers have survived in the wild, most of them in Russia's Far East.

70-pound fish hits woman in boat

A 32-year-old woman boating on the Suwannee River was hit by a nearly 70-pound jumping sturgeon.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports the fish knocked her unconscious and out of the boat on Saturday.
Brianne Megargel and her husband were near Manatee Springs State Park when the fish jumped out of the water and struck her as she sat in the boat.
Witnesses said the impact knocked her out of the vessel.
According to an FWC news release, Megargel's husband pulled her from the water and took her to the park, where a helicopter flew her to Shands at the University of Florida.
The agency said it was the second sturgeon encounter of the year.

Teen shot sleeping sister

An Arkansas teen pleaded guilty Wednesday to murdering his sleeping sister and was sentenced to 45 years in prison for a crime he still hasn't fully explained.
Colton Harvey, 15, grabbed his father's .22-caliber rifle one January morning while his parents were out grocery shopping. He walked into his 16-year-old sister Candace's room, pointed it at her forehead and fired. She awoke with a scream, so he shot her in the head twice more.
He threw some clothes and ammunition in his father's pickup truck and took off, driving first into the hills but then to the sheriff's office, where he chickened out in the parking lot. He drove to a friend's for some chewing tobacco - a vice that led to his parents grounding him days earlier - and then back to the sheriff's, where this time he found the courage to go in and confess.
"I don't know why I did it. It just happened," Harvey told state police investigator Corey Mendenhall hours later, according to a transcript of the interview in which he described in detail what happened that morning. The Associated Press obtained the transcript under a Freedom of Information Act request.
Harvey told Mendenhall he deserved the same fate.
"I should get done to me what I did to her," Harvey said.
Prosecutors initially charged the teen with first-degree murder, which carries a maximum penalty of life without parole. But they later worked out a plea bargain with his attorney, and on Wednesday, a judge sentenced Harvey to 30 years for second-degree murder plus 15 more because he used a gun.
The lanky, blond Harvey teared up as he addressed Judge William Pearson, at one point raising his handcuffed hands to his face so he could dab his eyes with a tissue.
"You stated that you murdered your sister. Is that correct?" Pearson asked.
Harvey paused, then almost whispered, "Yes, sir."
"How far did you get in school?" Pearson asked Harvey, who responded so quietly that the judge had to repeat some of his answers.
As Harvey replied, "ninth grade," his mother sobbed.
Harvey told the state police investigator that his parents grounded him a few days before the shooting when they found out he was using smokeless tobacco. He stewed in his room, staring at the wall.
The morning he killed Candace, his parents woke him up to tend to jerky from a deer he had killed the weekend before.
"You've got to be angry to be able to shoot a gun at somebody," Mendenhall, the state police investigator, told him a few hours after he killed Candace. "I mean, you're used to shooting deer and stuff and I know you're, you're not angry at the deer. But we're talking about your sister here. Do you love your sister?"
"Yeah," he said.
Investigators found her body in a bedroom at the family's home near Ozark, a town of about 3,600 roughly 120 miles northwest of Little Rock.
More details about the shooting came loose after Wednesday's hearing, when the judge also unsealed court documents that he previously ordered be kept out of the public's eye.
And yet, the question of why Harvey shot his sister remained unanswered.
"He never did give what I would consider to be a clear motive," the prosecutor, David Gibbons, said after Wednesday's hearing.
Harvey's attorney, Bill James, said there is a history of mental illness in Harvey's family, but he said an expert wasn't able to give his client a diagnosis because of his young age.
"Every time I've ever seen him, he's cried," James said. "And it's not, `Woe is me.' It's about what he's done to his mom and what he's done to his family."
A state review of Harvey's mental health noted that he was depressed after being jailed and that he said he had lost consciousness playing football in junior high school. But it found nothing on which to blame the shooting.
His defense attorney said Harvey never had any run-ins with the law before the shooting.
"I think his biggest problem was talking in class prior to this," James said.
His parents had only recently discovered he was using smokeless tobacco.
"I don't see why they won't let me do it. I've done it since third grade," Harvey told the state police investigator.
Harvey will head to a county jail until he's transferred to the Division of Youth Services, where he'll remain at least until he turns 16, James said. He can head to a state prison after that.
Harvey's mother cried throughout Wednesday's proceedings that took away her son after she lost her daughter.
"The situation doesn't lend itself for anybody to be happy," Gibbons, the prosecutor, said. "If there was somebody happy, absolutely happy, then an injustice would have been done."

Woman pays fine for calling 911 about dog collapse

A St. Charles County woman has paid a $100 fine for calling 911 to report her dog had collapsed.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Rose Lakey of O'Fallon referred to the Great Dane as her "daughter" when she made the emergency call on Easter Sunday. She said Wednesday, the day she paid the fine, that the word "daughter" came out accidentally.
Regardless, Lakey was accused of misusing 911. After initially pleading not guilty, Lake decided to dispose of the municipal charge.
Lakey and her husband had just finished walking the 140-pound dog, Oreo, when the animal collapsed. She said she called 911 in a panic. Emergency workers helped get Oreo to an animal hospital, but the dog died.

(Image courtesy Shutterstock)