Cristiano Ronaldo won't quit Real - club boss

Cristiano Ronaldo will be staying at Spanish giants Real Madrid and no offer has been received to tempt him away, club president Florentino Perez insisted Tuesday.

Unhappy Ronaldo has been linked to Manchester United and other top clubs after reportedly threatening to leave Real and quit Spain after running into problems with tax authorities.

"Ronaldo is a Real player and will continue to be so as far as we are concerned," Perez told Marca sports daily Tuesday. "No offer has been received for him."  

According to media reports Ronaldo is unsettled at Madrid because he believes Real did not back him as fully as he had hoped in his dispute with the taxman.

And he has also complained on multiple occasions in the past at his treatment at the hands of Real supporters, who have resorted to jeering and booing his performance on the pitch.

In an earlier report Marca said Ronaldo has told his teammates he was leaving and "there is no turning back".

Portuguese sports daily A Bola had also claimed that Perez had already been informed of the 32-year-old's decision.

However, Perez said that he had not spoken to Ronaldo, who is on duty for Portugal at the Confederations Cup in Russia, which ends on July 2.

Even so, Perez said he was convinced Ronaldo would stay and affirmed that his Real contract was protected by a one billion euro release clause.

"I have not spoken with him. We don't want to disturb his concentration with the national team," said Perez.

"But something really bizarre would have to happen if he were to leave this club."

Perez said he could understood why the four-times world player of the year had been upset after he was accused last week of evading 14.7 million euros in tax through offshore companies.

Big challenge

He said that Ronaldo had clearly done nothing wrong and Perez was appalled that the "presumption of innocence is not respected" by the media who have branded the played a delinquent.

Perez, a 70-year-old construction magnate, was elected unopposed Monday for a third term in charge of Europe's most successful club.

His first big challenge is keeping Ronaldo at the club he joined in 2009 from Manchester United for a record 94 million euros ($105.3 million).

There has been speculation that Ronaldo is trying to put pressure on Real so that they will bear some of the burden of an eventual fine for tax evasion as Barcelona did for Lionel Messi.

Manchester United have so far made no comment on reports they are interested in buying back the player for an estimated 200 million euros, on top of the release fee.

Since extending his contract in November until 2021, Ronaldo is according to Forbes the highest paid sports star in the world with $93 million (83m euro) in 2016-2017.

Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea are also reported to be interested but Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge denied the German champions would make an offer.

"We are accustomed to intensive speculation on possible arrivals and departures during the transfer period," wrote Rummenigge in the statement.

"As a rule, we do not comment on these rumours. But now in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo, we want to clarify once and for all that this rumour has no basis and must be referred to in the realm of fables."

Under Perez, Real Madrid have won three Champions League titles in four seasons. The club - which also won La Liga last season - lead the way in the elite European competition with 12 trophies.

Real president Perez 'not contemplating' Ronaldo departure

Cristiano Ronaldo has not spoken to Real Madrid officials about a transfer away from Spain and he is not expected to leave the European champions during the close season, club president Florentino Perez said on Monday.

The prolific striker scored twice to fire Real to a 4-1 win over Juventus in the Champions League final earlier this month but his future at the club was thrown into doubt last week when Portuguese newspaper A Bola reported that he wanted to leave Spain after being accused of committing tax fraud.

Spanish prosecutors have filed a lawsuit against the player accusing him of defrauding tax authorities of 14.7 million euros (12.87 million pounds) by hiding his image rights income between 2011 and 2014. Ronaldo has denied any wrongdoing.

The 32-year-old signed a new contract with Real until 2021 last November and has a release clause of one billion euros ($1.11 billion).

"I haven't spoken with Cristiano, I learnt about it because of what came out in the newspapers. I don't have any solution but Cristiano, like everyone else, has a contract and is a Real Madrid player," Perez told radio station Onda Cero on Monday after earning a third consecutive mandate at Real.

"I'm sure he will speak to us about what has happened (with the tax case), which has obviously affected his credibility, and we'll see what happens."

Ronaldo, Portugal's all-time leading scorer, is the latest in a long line of soccer players in Spain -- among them Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Neymar -- to be caught up in cases over tax or transfers.

Ronaldo is with Portugal at the Confederations Cup in Russia and has not said anything about his future since the A Bola story was published.

Asked about potential clubs Ronaldo could join, Perez said: "I'm not contemplating Ronaldo leaving."

Ronaldo joined Real from Manchester United in 2009 for a then world record fee of 96 million euros and is their all-time top scorer with 404 goals in 394 games. He has won three Champions Leagues, two La Liga titles and two King's Cups in his eight years in the Spanish capital.

"I haven't learnt very much about the situation, he's at a very important tournament at the moment in the Confederations Cup and until that ends I'm not going to disturb the atmosphere of his team," added Perez.

"He has a contract and he needs to complete it. All we know is that he's unhappy with the treatment he has had from the press, who have claimed that he is a tax cheat."

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Most Shared

Happiness Meter Icon