Kochi Smart City board meets in Dubai to decide opening date

Inauguration of first phase originally scheduled for December-end

A board meeting of the Kochi Smart City is being held in Dubai today (Sunday) to decide the dates for the inauguration of the multi-million dollar technology hub in the South Indian state.

The inauguration of the first phase was originally scheduled to be held by the end of December, but was postponed.

The project, when fully complete, will comprise of 8.8 million sq. ft. of built up space out of which at least 6.21 million sq. ft. will be specifically for IT/ITES/allied services. The project has witnessed intermittent delays following various controversies, starting from allocation of land to project development.

Work on the project started in May 2007 when the Dubai-based SmartCity, an initiative by Tecom, signed an agreement with the Kerala government to develop an IT and technology hub in Kochi.

The Smart City (Kochi) Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd was formed as a joint venture company to develop the Kochi Smart City project. Government of Kerala holds 16 per cent share while Tecom Investments holds the remaining 84 per cent share

Kerala’s Minister for Industries and IT P K Kunjalikutty along with other members of the board have arrived in Dubai for the meeting.

 

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Videos

Most Shared

Happiness Meter Icon