2.42 AM Sunday, 10 December 2023
  • City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
  • Dubai 05:31 06:49 12:14 15:11 17:33 18:52
10 December 2023

Rejected suitor called woman 200 times a day, Dubai Courts told

By Eman Al Baik

An Emirati soldier, whose marriage proposal was rejected by a woman, allegedly harassed her continuously by chasing her car on Dubai roads and making mobile phone calls and sending SMS messages. He allegedly even stuck a paper on the door of her house, claiming to have a relationship with her and that he possessed her underwear.

The 24-year-old woman, SD, told investigators that she had refused to marry MM, 21, when he visited their house to ask her parents for her hand.

“After I rejected him, he started chasing me on Dubai’s roads when I was going to and returning from work. I used to see him at my house and also when I went out of my office. He used to call me about 200 times a day and to send me SMS messages but I ignored his calls and messages. He threatened that he will not allow me to marry anyone else unless I married him.

“One day, he stopped his car in a dangerous way in front of my car in Al Quoz. He tried to open my car’s right door, but I managed to reverse and leave the place, heading to Bur Dubai Police station where I lodged a complaint.

“Police lifted his finger prints from my car. Police asked him to give an undertaking that he would not tease or chase me, which he did never complied with. He continued to chase me and one day he sent me a picture of a phrase he wrote on a paper and threatened to stick it on the door of my house.

“In the sentence, he claimed that I had an immoral relationship with him and that he possessed my underwear. On the next day, he stuck the paper on the door.

“My sister’s husband got out and saw the paper on the door. I took it, went to the police station and lodged a complaint,” the victim told investigators.

A police officer testified that MM had admitted to annoying and chasing the woman who had refused to marry him and that he had given an undertaking to stop harassing her. Police retrieved all the messages that the accused had sent her.

The Court will reconvene in February.

Image from shutterstock