Flight attendant starts fire in airplane toilet
An American Airlines flight attendant is facing charges that allege he started a fire in an airplane bathroom as the flight from Dallas approached Detroit.
The FBI says no one was injured during the Feb. 1 incident aboard flight 1418. The plane safely landed at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
In a criminal complaint filed Tuesday, the FBI says Johnathan Tafoya-Montano admitted setting paper towels on fire with a lighter. The FBI says he immediately put out the fire, exited the bathroom and returned with a fire extinguisher to take care of any smoldering towels.
The FBI says Tafoya-Montano admitted his role this week, a month after his initial interview.
He's charged with setting a fire and making false statements. A message seeking comment from his lawyer wasn't immediately returned Wednesday.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.