Police officer Pritpal Singh said the blaze began before dawn on Saturday at the state-run Rajendra hospital in the city of Patiala, apparently after a machine that helps treat jaundiced babies by exposing them to a special light malfunctioned.
Five other newborns were rescued, including one that suffered burns. All the babies were under a week old and receiving treatment under the phototherapy machine.
Hospital superintendent Surinder Singh told a local television station, “There was a short circuit in the tubes of the machines.”
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.