Wildfires continue to rage in Australia
Victoria state Emergency Services Commissioner Bruce Esplin said on Tuesday at a briefing of emergency officials, “The devastating fire season continues.”
Blazes on February 7 claimed at least 210 lives.
Esplin said at least 2,029 homes were destroyed in the fires – raising the tally from some 1,800 homes. The Insurance Council of Australia said Tuesday that 6,230 claims totaling A$790 million ($510 million; Dh1.9 billion) had been lodged.
Four major fires continue to burn. Temperatures are expected to rise on Friday to the high 30s Celsius, accompanied by strong winds.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.