Ferrero ‘won't bid’ for Cadbury

Italian chocolate maker Ferrero on Monday said it did not intend making a counter-bid for British confectioner Cadbury, which last week agreed to a multi-billion-dollar takeover from US giant Kraft Foods.

"Ferrero International SA confirms that it does not intend to make an offer for Cadbury," the group said in a short statement to the London Stock Exchange.

US chocolate maker Hershey had on Friday also ruled out a counter-bid after reports suggested that it was weighing up a joint offer with Ferrero.

Ending a bitter hostile takeover battle with Kraft, the board of Cadbury last week agreed to an improved offer worth 11.5 billion pounds (13.1 billion euros, $18.9 billion), or 840 pence per share.

Under the deal, Cadbury shareholders will also receive 10 pence per share via a special dividend, lifting Kraft's offer to 11.9 billion pounds.

 

Keep up with the latest business news from the region with the Emirates Business 24|7 daily newsletter. To subscribe to the newsletter, please click here.

 

Print Email