Whether fresh out of university or looking for a change of career, job fairs are an excellent way to discover what is out there and how your skills match up.
There are various events that take place in the UAE where industry professionals are on hand to offer advice and information to help you choose the next move.
Career fairs work both ways – you need a job and companies are looking for employees. Have a plan and you could soon be on the career ladder you want.
- Research your options: Be sure to investigate all participating companies in advance. Obtain a list of these from the fair organisers, and begin to research about six to 10 companies that may be of particular interest to you. In making your decision, consider the type of candidates sought, company location and company reputation.
- Make a list of questions: Even though the internet is full of job information it cannot substitute for actually talking to people who are already working. Write down all the questions you want in order to make an informed decision about a career. You can then sit down later and decide which avenues you wish to pursue.
- Take along copies of your CV: Give it a once-over to make sure it highlights and showcases your skills in a professional and concise way. Be proactive by handing out your CV to every company you are interested in working for. Many firms will have HR staff on their stand so introduce yourself and even if they do not have time to go through your CV, they will be able to take it away and follow it up once they get back.
- Collect business cards: Finding a job is often about who you know not what you know, so introduce yourself to companies you would like to work for and ask for their business cards. When you send your CV or want to chase up an application, it is better if you can address all queries to a specific person.
- Sell yourself: First impressions count and as this is the first contact you will have with company representatives you must sell yourself. They are there because they want to meet potential employees so do not overwhelm them, but make sure you approach them with confidence.
- Tailor your CV: Prior to the job fair, research the companies you know will be present. Go through their Websites and if there is somewhere you would like to work, tailor your CV to match.
Talk specifically about how your skills fit in with what the company does and why you want to join them. Employers will recognise your effort, which will only help your case when it comes to short-listing potential candidates.
The next Careers UAE will be from April 15 to April 17. For more info, visit www.careersuae.ae
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.