- City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
- Dubai 03:59 05:25 12:21 15:42 19:11 20:37
A man murdered a nephew who raped his daughter and refused to marry her when she became pregnant, Dubai Criminal Court heard yesterday.
A lawyer representing Arab defendant TB, 47, called on the court to reduce any sentence to the lowest possible level because of the circumstances of the case.
The defence also urged the court to rule out premeditation as the defendant had attempted to persuade the victim to marry his daughter and offered him Dh100, 000 to buy jewellery for the wedding. The nephew had provoked the defendant by refusing to marry the raped woman, it was alleged. The woman said in her testimony that the victim pursued her and kept telling her he loved her. After the father refused to allow them to wed, his nephew visited her home frequently and managed to take some photos of her.
The victim manipulated the photos to make them look obscene and showed them to her cousins, who told the defendant about the photos. The defendant then hit the victim at a family meeting. The nephew later called the daughter and told her he was ready to delete the photos in front of her. She went to meet him and he showed her the photos, but then suddenly attacked, stripped and raped her. He threatened to kill her if she told anyone what had happened. Six months later, the woman was medically examined and it was discovered that she was pregnant.
The public prosecution accused the defendant of premeditated murder. He is said to have lured the victim to his company's warehouse at Al Quoz Industrial area. He then struck his nephew on the head with an iron bar and then put a rope around his neck and strangled him with it.
The case was adjourned until February 16 when a verdict is expected to be delivered.
- Dubai Criminal Court adjourned the case of Asian JS, 31, who is accused of robbing cables worth Dh10,700 from a contracting company to February 21. The defendant admitted stealing the cables over two separate days and selling them for Dh1,100.
- The case of a man known as "Hamdan British" has been adjourned to February 24. Defendant MS, a 22-year-old Arab national, is accused of lewd conduct. He was arrested on July 20 at Dubai airport while attempting to depart for London in the company of another person.
- Dubai Criminal Court adjourned the case of three defendants who are accused of possessing hashish and marijuana to 24 February.
Keep up with the latest business news from the region with the Emirates Business 24|7 daily newsletter. To subscribe to the newsletter, please click here.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.