2.08 AM Saturday, 9 December 2023
  • City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
  • Dubai 05:30 06:49 12:14 15:11 17:33 18:52
09 December 2023

Unpaid worker 'can change employer'

Unpaid worker 'can change employer'. (AP)

By Wam

If a worker does not receive his wages for a period of two months, he is free to transfer his sponsorship to another employer without the consent of his original employer, a senior official at the Labour Ministry said.

Speaking shortly after the "Weekly Open Meet" at the Ministry for settling labour dispute cases, Qassim Jamil, Director of Labour Guidance, said a mass complaint filed by 1,474 workers for unpaid wages has been referred to the Labour circuit court in the emirate.

At the open meet, the owner of the employing firm clarified that the workers have been paid their monthly wages for August and September 2009, and promised to pay the outstanding dues without delay. But the Labour Ministry said that the cases have already been referred to the competent court for a decision.


Keep up with the latest business news from the region with the Emirates Business 24|7 daily newsletter. To subscribe to the newsletter, please click here.