Millionaire leaves fortune to royals
A Spanish businessman who died last year has left his fortune to members of the country's royal family, a source in the royal palace said on Friday.
In his will, Juan Ignacio Balada Llabres asked that his estate be divided into two parts, with 50 per cent going to the eight grandchildren of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia and the rest to Crown Prince Felipe and his wife Letizia to create a foundation, the source said.
Llabres died on November 18 on the island of Menorca, and his executor contacted the members of royal family earlier this month to notify them of his wishes.
The source said Prince Felipe and his wife had "never had any contact" previously with Llabres.
The royal family is waiting to receive more details from the executor before taking any decision.
Keep up with the latest business news from the region with the Emirates Business 24|7 daily newsletter. To subscribe to the newsletter, please click here.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.