- City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
- Dubai 05:31 06:50 12:15 15:12 17:34 18:53
Tyres have a significant impact on the performance and safety of a car so the condition of a car's tyres should be the primary concern when it comes to car maintenance, as they are the easily prone to damage and can cause the most dangerous accidents.
Poor tyre maintenance can cause skidding and loss of control of the car. The UAE's driving habits and weather conditions make car tyres more susceptible to damage, and poor maintenance can endanger the life of your car, as well as yourself, passengers and other drivers on the road. Although the average lifespan of tyres is 40,000km, regular checks will not only ensure they run for this long but keep them in better condition.
Regular inspection of tyres is essential in the UAE, and the following guidelines will enable you to avoid serious calamity.
- Inspect your tyres frequently for uneven or excessive tread wear, or any visible impacts or bends as it is a sign of wear and tear, and tyres should be replaced immediately.
- The sandy conditions of the UAE, particularly during dust storms, can cause wear and tear of your tyres, making it important to clean the tyre rim on a regular basis.
- Have your tyres rotated every 5,000km to even out the wear and tear, depending on your wheel drive, either the front wheels are more worn out than the rear so rotating can increase their life span.
- Check the pressure regularly. Low tyre pressure causes driving instability and damages suspension, as well as increasing fuel consumption. Higher tyre pressure increases wear and tear and can cause a rutted ride. It is especially important to check tyre pressure when the whether is transitioning into or out of the summer months as tyre rubber expands or contracts respectively. But remember that tyres should always be cold when checking the pressure as they expand when heated giving an inaccurate reading.
- Check the wheel alignment regularly, as imbalance impacts vehicle stability by causing vibration and wobbling, and increases tyre wear and tear. You also need to balance the tyre-rim assembly after every 5,000km.
- Avoid parking over patches of oil, or any solvents, as this increases tyre damage.
- Avoid driving at high speeds that also increases the frequency of heavy breaking, both increasing the wearing out of tyres.
- With construction sites all over the country, it is important to frequently check tyres for debris in the grooves, which will add to the tyre wearing.
- The writer is the General Manager of Thrifty Car Rental UAE
Keep up with the latest business news from the region with the Emirates Business 24|7 daily newsletter. To subscribe to the newsletter, please click here.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.