Docs plead not guilty in 12-yr old’s death

Picture used for illustrative purposes only. (GETTY IMAGES)

Three doctors denied in court the charges of medical maltreatment and negligence which led to a 12-year-old boy’s death following a bicycle accident, according to a Gulf News report.

The doctors, two Indians aged 64 and 60 and a 68-year-old Lebanese, pleaded not guilty and said before the Dubai Court of Misdemeanors that the boy had already lost too much blood when he was admitted to their hospital.

Prosecutors accused the three doctors and a Jebel Ali-based hospital of negligence and medical maltreatment by failing to admit the Indian schoolboy to the operation room and help save his life.

The boy’s parents are also seeking temporary compensation.

The boy’s mother testified during police questioning that her son was playing on his bicycle when he hit his breaks suddenly and fell on the floor then sustained a deep leg injury.

According to the arraignment sheet, prosecutors said the three suspects and the hospital [where the boy was admitted before his death] were responsible for the boy’s demise.

They failed to adhere to their medical duties properly and were charged with negligence. Prosecution records said the doctors failed to connect the boy to the proper medical tubes at the emergency ward when his situation was stable.

Medical records confirmed that the boy died because he lost too much blood and liquids from his body.

Court records said the bicycle accident happened on November 29, 2007 and following three years of investigations, prosecutors referred the case to court in December.

According to police records, the father said the incident happened while his wife and son were visiting their relatives in Jebel Ali Gardens.

“I rushed him to the nearest clinic at one of the gated communities and they referred me to the nearest hospital in Jebel Ali. The accident happened around 7:30pm and he was pronounced dead by doctors at the hospital’s emergency room around 10:10pm,” claimed the 35-year-old mother.

The father claimed that he was still at work in Jebel Ali Port when his wife informed him about the accident over the phone.

Print Email