- City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
- Dubai 05:24 06:42 12:10 15:09 17:32 18:50
A fire expert from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of Dubai Police Majdi Mohammed Kamel has warned against extending cables for air conditioners (ACs).
He cautioned housewives who leave the kitchen while cooking as these lead to fire incidents.
Majdi said that of 682 fire incidents in Dubai and Northern Emirates, 262 were caused by short circuits, accounting for 33 per cent of the cases. Of these, 48 were in the Northern Emirates.
“Our investigations found that many people buy cheap electric cables and they connect them as an extension to ACs, resulting in overheating and eruption of fire.”
He warned against the “native way” of connecting electricity.
He said that cigarette butts and fire embers caused 85 incidents of fire during the same year.
Majdi said that cookers and inflammable cooking oil are a bad mix when mishandled.
“Many housewives leave kitchen when the flames are still on, a situation prone to accidents. We saw 38 such accidents last year.”
In the last quarter of 2012, a string of fire accidents were registered in Dubai’s high-rise buildings, dhows at the Creek, and warehouses.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.