Baby revives after heart stops beating in Al Ain

An 11-month-old Emirati boy's heart briefly stopped after his respiratory system collapsed when he accidentally swallowed the plastic lid of a syringe used by his diabetic mother at home in the eastern oasis town of Al Ain.

But doctors raced against time to bring the baby back to life and succeeded in restoring his pulse although he remains in coma at Twam hospital. He is undergoing scanning so doctors can locate exactly where the lid has settled inside his body.

The baby’s mother who is suffering from diabetes had just taken off the plastic lid of the syringe and injected herself with insulin when the boy clutched the plastic cover and put it in his mouth.

Panicking, the mother pulled the needle out and quickly inserted her fingers into the baby’s mouth to get the lid out but she could not reach it after he bent his head backwards.

The Arabic language daily Alkhaleej said the lid blocked the baby’s respiratory system. His mother frantically called his father, who rushed him to Al Ain government hospital, where the doctors struggled to revive his heart.

“With God’s mercy and the doctor’s quick intervention, my son’s heart began beating again…we then transferred him to Twam Hospital where he is still lying in coma,” the father told the Sharjah-based newspaper.

“Doctors spent a long time yesterday morning trying to locate the plastic lid inside his body so they can deal with his case…I pray to God to save my baby, who is the youngest I have and I appeal for all mothers to be careful.”

(Home page image courtesy Shutterstock)

Comments

Comments