11.31 AM Sunday, 14 July 2024
  • City Fajr Shuruq Duhr Asr Magrib Isha
  • Dubai 04:09 05:34 12:27 15:50 19:15 20:40
14 July 2024

Dubai family suicide: Hysterical wife handcuffed to foil new attempt

By VM Sathish

Dubai Police have handcuffed the sole survivor of family suicide incident as she remains in a hysterical condition.

Quoted by the Dubai-based 'Al Bayan' Arabic language newspaper, Brigadier Khalil Al Mansoori, head of the Dubai criminal investigation department, said the wife is still in “hysterical” condition in the intensive care unit and had been handcuffed by police to prevent her from attempting a suicide again.

“The bodies of the husband, Rajesh, and his daughter are still at the forensic section and there is no permission yet to bury them as a final medical report has yet to be released,” he said.

Additionally, in another twist to the sad tale, investigators doubt that a dispute between an Indian man with his sponsor was the real motive behind his decision to commit suicide after killing his little daughter with the help of his wife.

A senior police officer said the wife, who slashed her veins but survived, had been briefly questioned in hospital but that she would be interrogated again once her condition improves.

“As for what the mother said about the reasons of the suicide, we doubt her statements…she might know other reasons for this heinous incident and we believe the reasons she had stated are weak and can‘t be trusted…we are now watching her in case she tries any move to end her life again.”

Mansoori said forensic experts established that the seven-year-old daughter was asleep when her parents allegedly smothered her with a pillow.

Couple suffocated daughter 

An Indian couple who decided to commit a suicide in Dubai murdered their seven-year-old daughter by smothering her with a pillow before embarking on their attempt that ended up in the death of the husband and the survival of his wife, according to a senior police officer.

The 35-year-old wife, who is bed-ridden in hospital after slashing her veins, told police that she had helped her husband, Rajesh, in killing their daughter before their suicide attempt at their flat in Bur Dubai.

“During a brief interrogation at hospital, the woman confessed that she grabbed her daughter’s hands and paralyzed her movement…her father then put a pillow on her face and strangled her to death,” said Brigadier Khalil Ibrahim Al Mansoori, director of Dubai’s criminal investigation department.

Earlier yesterday, cryptic clues began emerging in the mysterious family suicide in Dubai over the weekend.

Quoted by the Dubai-based Arabic language daily 'Emarat Al Youm', he said police found two letters left by the husband, one of which he explained why he had decided to commit a suicide.

“He said the decision was a result of a dispute with an old friend at a company where they had both worked and that he was insulted by his friend over a debt of Dh15,000,” Mansoori said.

“He wrote that he had felt very upset and weak because of this problem and that he totally lost his desire to love…he said his wife had the same feeling and hence they decided to end their life and their daughter’s life.”

After a report from relatives, police broke into Rajesh’s apartment on Saturday and found him hanging from the ceiling. His daughter was found dead in her room while his wife was screaming hysterically in the bathroom after slashing her wrist veins.

 Rijesh, family suicide victim, had his mouth taped shut

The mystery surrounding the Indian family suicide in Bur Dubai has taken yet another turn, as the deceased father, Rijesh, found dead hanging from the ceiling fan, reportedly had masking tape over his mouth.

It is not clear whether Rijesh himself taped his own mouth as his hands were free.

Meanwhile, his former employer, PN, could not be contacted for comments. One of his office staff confirmed Rijesh had worked as an office administrator but left the company about four to five months ago.

Rijesh's daughter was a victim in the tragedy, but his wife survived. She continues to remain in semi-conscious state in hosiptal and responds when she is called by her name.

She was found with cuts to her wrists in a semi-conscious state in the family's bathroom. The investigation is waiting for her to recover so she could explain what happened in the flat on the fateful 14th January.

The suicide note found at the scene clearly blames Rijesh's former sponsor over some issues. His former employer is a well-known figure in the Indian community.