Electric shock costs Sharjah man both arms

Doctors say the man needs prosthetic limbs after recovery

An Asian technician had his arms amputated after he was hit by a strong electric shock while installing a signboard at a shop in Sharjah emirate.

The worker had apparently forgotten to disconnect power when he embarked on his work to fix a large sign board at the forefront of the shop in Al Madam area.

Newspapers said the unnamed worker was rushed to hospital in Dhaid where doctors raced against time to save his life.

“The shock was so strong that it destroyed the tissues, skin and bones in his arms. We had to amputate his arms to prevent gas gangrene which could spread to other parts of his body and lead to his death,” said Dr Thaer Kazim, a surgeon at Dhaid Hospital.

He said the patient needs to have prosthetic limbs after his wounds heal so he can practice a normal life.

Emarat Al Youm daily quoted the worker as appealing for public help so he can have prosthetic treatment.

(Home page image courtesy Shutterstock)

  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus


  • Diner serves up tarantula burger

    A woman faced her fear of spiders by eating a tarantual burger at a diner in North Carolina. The bizarre dish has

  • Elephant spotted smoking

    A group of conservationists spotted an elephant smoking large lumps of charcoal and claim it was for medicinal purposes

Most Popular in News

Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...

Happiness Meter Icon