Marshmallows with rat poison in Arabian Ranches
Marshmallows containing rat poison have been found lying around in the area around Arabian Ranches, reported animal welfare organisation K9 Friends Dubai.
This morning, a resident of the area who was walking her dog came across the suspicious looking marshmallow and immediately reported it to the organisation.
“My husband and I were walking our dogs, when suddenly we noticed a suspicious-looking object lying between the trash on t eside of the street. It raised our suspicion because it was cut in half. When my husband picked up the sweet, he found some pellets inside,” said Patricia Sainsbury, a Uk resident in Arabian Ranches.
The couple then informed their daughter, who works as a vet in a clinic in Dubai. “Our daughter investigated the pellets, and confirmed that this was rat poison,” she added.
No reports have been made about the case to Dubai Municipality, but K9 Friends Dubai says to know of several poisoning cases having taken place over the last couple of months on the perimetres of Arabian Ranches.
In November, a first case of death appeared when a dog residing in the area was killed due to the consumption of something poisonous.
It could not be determined what the source of the poisonous substance was.
However, several deaths due to poisoning followed, all in the same area, said Jacky Ratcliffe, Chairperson of K9 Friends Dubai.
K9 Friends posted a warning message on Twitter this morning, reading: “Marshmallows laced with rat poison found around the Arabian Ranches area. Please be aware and keep your pets safe.”
“We can just warn people for these cases,” said Jacky.
Similarly, Patricia intends to spread the warning in order to warn other pet owners or parents. “This can be dangerous for children too. Kids being kids, they pick up all kinds of things they find, and may put it in their mouth.
“We do not know where this is coming from, so we cannot really draw any conclusions,” commented Jacky. “But it would be useful to find out who has distributed these marshmallows, because it is bloody dangerous.”
Speaking to the Pest Control Section at Dubai Municipality about the case reported today, its Head Motahar Hossain said that no company would be permitted to spread rat poison in such a way, as companies are instructed to cover rat poison in tamper-proof resistant boxes.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.