Owners Associations (OAs) in Dubai are informing residents not to smoke shisha or have BBQ in their balconies, post The Address Hotel Downtown fire incident.
An OA of a tower in Tecom issued a notice on Tuesday stating: “Following the fire at The Address Hotel on December 31, 2015, we write on behalf of the owners association for the building to remind all occupants of the importance of fire prevention.
“An outbreak of fire can happen very easily and adequate safety precautions should be taken at all times. This includes ensuring cigarettes are properly extinguished and disposed of, ensuring curtains, etc. are well away from the stove/hob, ensuring sockets and electrical adaptors are not overloaded... as few examples. Please be vigilant to protect your family and other residents.”
The notice specifies smoking is not permitted in common areas; residents should not throw cigarettes butts from balconies, smoke shisha and have BBQs on their balconies; and to even not storing any items on the balcony that may catch fire.
“If residents are found to be violating any of the above, tough penalties shall be implemented for misconduct,” the notice said, without giving details of the penalties.
In the recent past, various OAs in Jumeirah Lakes Towers (JLT), Jumeirah Beach Residence and Discovery Gardens have issued notices informing residents not to smoke or BBQ in their balconies.
In 2014, Nakheel Facilities and Owners Association Management in Discovery Gardens issued a circular that stated smoking was prohibited in corridors, fire escape staircase and reception area due to fire hazard with fines being imposed on those found violating the rule.
Emirates 24|7 reported earlier that Concordia, which manages community services within JLT, had banned smoking in all basement levels and closed parking structures.
Smoking is not allowed within elevators and basement levels 2, 3 and 4 (closed areas of the parking structures), it said. Those violating the community rules can face a fine of Dh200.
In December 2012, Dubai Police had confirmed that the fire in Tamweel Tower in JLT, which is currently under renovation, was caused by a cigarette butt thrown into a garbage bin containing papers and inflammable stuff.
Dubai Municipality has said smokers can be fined of up to Dh500 for throwing cigarette butts on streets.