Pesticide poisoning in Sharjah: Newborn dies

Parents also hospitalised. [Image via Shutterstock]

A newborn baby boy has died of suspected pesticide poisoning in Sharjah’s Al Nadha area, while his  three-year-old sister is fighting for her life, reported 'Al Bayan'.

The kids’ parents are also receiving treatment in hospital.

According to police officials, the Syrian family inhaled phosphine gas – a banned substance, which was allegedly used as pesticide by their neighbour.

Police has arrested the tenant, who said that his friend had given him the pesticide to kill insects in his room. He claimed that he did not know the dangers of using the pesticide. He had left the apartment after spraying the pesticide.

Investigating police officials detected strong smell in the house and also noticed several dead insects in both the houses. They also confiscated an empty bottle of the pesticide from the entrance of the building.

Col. Abdul Gadder Al Amri, Director, Forensic Lab, Sharjah Police, said samples collected from the site reveal that it was aluminium phosphide.

 

Print Email