Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre and Dubai Burj Khalifa tower rank among the world’s Top 25 attractions in the 2016 Travelers’ Choice’ awards by TripAdvisor, a travel planning and booking site.
The Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque ranks at No. 2 while the Burj Khalifa is stacked at No. 22 among the world’s Top 25 attractions as ranked by TripAdvisor.
“Grand is an understatement. The architecture, the white marble and the beautifully maintained green gardens are stunning,” said TripAdvisor of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
“Seeing it rise into the heavens above the skyline is a sight to behold. Truly a feat of modern engineering and architecture that everyone should check out in Dubai,” the TripAdvisor site said of Burj Khalifa.
Travellers and tourists from around the globe who posted their reviews on TripAdvisor over the past one year picked Abu Dhabi’s must-see iconic landmark over some of the other landmarks, including one of the wonders of the world, India’s Taj Mahal (5th) and Cambodia’s Angkor Wat (3rd).
Award-winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Burj Khalifa surpassed other famous landmarks such as Australian War Memorial – Canberra, Australia; Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia; and Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine – Kyoto, Japan.
“These Travelers’ Choice award-winning landmarks attract millions of visitors each year and represent some of the world’s most impressive examples of human ingenuity,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor.
“Travelers who want to discover, or rediscover, these iconic attractions can book tours for unique experiences including in some cases exclusive behind-the-scenes access.”
Top 25 Landmarks in the World:
1. Machu Picchu – Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3. Angkor Wat – Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica – Vatican City, Italy
5. Taj Mahal – Agra, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba – Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood – St. Petersburg, Russia
8. The Alhambra – Granada, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool – Washington, D.C.
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo) – Milan, Italy
11. Golden Gate Bridge – San Francisco, California
12. Hagia Sophia Museum / Church (Ayasofya) – Istanbul, Turkey
13. Grand-Place – Brussels, Belgium
14. Eiffel Tower – Paris, France
15. Notre Dame Cathedral – Paris, France
16. Great Wall at Mutianyu – Beijing, China
17. Acropolis – Athens, Greece
18. Corcovado - Cristo Redentor – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19. Big Ben – London, United Kingdom
20. Chichen Itza – Chichen Itza, Mexico
21. Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) – Bangkok, Thailand
22. Burj Khalifa – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
23. Australian War Memorial – Canberra, Australia
24. Sydney Opera House – Sydney, Australia
25. Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine – Kyoto, Japan