Ramadan one of the best times of the year, say UAE professionals
It’s no secret that Ramadan can bring out the best in people. Dedicated to reflection, restraint, generosity and unity, while Ramadan draws families and friends together to share and reflect, for professionals in Middle East and North Africa (Mena), the spirit of Ramadan carries from home to the workplace.
According to the new Bayt.com ‘Ramadan in the Middle East Workplace’ poll, majority of Mena professionals (86.8 per cent) agree that Ramadan is one of their favourite times of the year.
More than half (53.7 per cent) of the respondents feel that they socialize more than usual with their colleagues during Ramadan. In keeping with a heightened morale and a more sociable atmosphere at work, a slightly higher percentage (56.3 per cent) of professionals believe that there is a noticeable increase in their company’s charitable activity during Ramadan.
With a favourable workplace atmosphere during the fasting month, responses are fairly evenly split when it comes to taking time off from work.
Majority (53.7 per cent) of respondents say that they do not take time off during Ramadan and 46.3 per cent say that they do at least occasionally. Similarly, just over half (56.9 per cent) of respondents travel on the Eid break while the rest (43.1 per cent) do not.
Of course, Ramadan sentiments of illumination and compassion are evident in the professionals’ personal lives as well. The vast majority (96.1 per cent) of respondents say that they use Ramadan to reflect on their life and become a better person, and almost as many respondents (94.9 per cent) say that they personally give more to charity during this time.
Additionally, more than eight in ten (81.1 per cent) of the professionals feel that they see more family and friends during Ramadan and a slightly higher number (83.1 per cent) believe that their lifestyle habits are healthier for the month. It’s evident that Ramadan has many positive effects, lifting people’s spirits and enabling their generosity - and these can be seen in many ways in the workplace.
“There are substantial changes in the Mena workplace during the month of Ramadan, and it is important for both employers, employees and job seekers to have a clear view of what to expect during this time. It is interesting that more than three in every five respondents believe that their morale is lifted during Ramadan, which is something employers can use to build employee loyalty, engagement, and retention,” said Suhail Masri, Vice-President of Employer Solutions, Bayt.com.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.