A 22-year-old Sri Lankan father, having kidnapped his 9-month-old daughter from the custody of his wife’s uncle on Wednesday night, slit the child’s throat, ‘The Island’ newspaper reported.
The child’s dead body was found near the uncle’s house in Middeniya, the newspaper said.
The suspect lived away from his estranged wife and used to visit the child at the house of his father-in-law’s younger brother where the 20-year-old wife had kept the child for caretaking.
On the day of the incident, the suspect, who is addicted to alcohol and drugs, phoned his wife and asked to collect the child from the place where her body was found.
Millionaire businessman strangled to death
A leading Sri Lankan businessman was found strangled to death at his home on Saturday, the ‘Lankadeepa’ reported.
The 54-year-old victim was proprietor of Novelty Trade Centre in Nugegoda. Being a divorcee, he lived alone.
According to the police, a son of the victim’s friend had come to stay temporarily with the victim on Friday.
Police said the student had visited the businessman’s shop on Saturday and had seen him talking to another person.
When the boy asked for the house key, the businessman had closed the store and gone home with the boy and the other person.
The student, who had gone to his room, had overheard the businessman talking to the visitor and had later discovered two more persons entering the house, thought to be the victim’s friends.
After 11pm, the student had heard the businessman scream but he stayed in his room for some time out of fear.
When he came out of his room, he found the businessman’s hands tied behind and a noose around the neck. The student promptly informed the police.
Police had not made any arrest until Sunday evening.
14-year-old sexually abuses three 10-year-old girls
Police in Sri Lanka is searching for a 14-year-old boy who is suspected to have sexually abuse three 10-year-old girls on many occasions, the ‘Lakbima’ reported.
The victims were classmates of the suspect in the same school in Chilaw and lived in the neighbourhood, police said.
It is suspected that the culprit used to come where the girls used to play after school hours and take away one girl at a time.
The victims told police they had been sexually abused several times since February last year.
Parents of the three girls, accompanied by their daughters, had gone to the police station to lodge their complaint.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.