Death toll in Beirut building collapse rises to 11
The death toll from the collapse of an old six-storey apartment block in the Lebanese capital has risen to 11, the national ANI news agency reported on Monday, citing the Lebanese Red Cross.
"Up until now, 11 bodies and 11 injured Lebanese nationals and foreigners have been recovered from the rubble," the report said, adding that rescue operations mounted during the night were continuing Monday morning.
The apartment block, in Beirut's eastern Ashrafiyeh district, came crashing down without warning on Sunday evening. It was known to house Lebanese and Sudanese families.
Neighbours said dozens of people had lived in the building.
Among the dead was a 15-year-old girl while her grandmother, a Lebanese man of 73, at least two Sudanese, an Egyptian and a Filipina were among the injured.
"It was like an earthquake" when the block collapsed, one witness told the local MTV channel.
ANI said the building had been in a state of disrepair made worse by recent torrential downpours.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.