Twin attacks ripped through the city of Taji north of Baghdad on Tuesday, killing at least 35 people, officials said, after Iraq suffered its deadliest month so far this year in June.
"Thirty-five people were killed and 28 wounded when a car bomb and an improvised bomb exploded simultaneously outside a government office where national identification cards are issued, and the provincial council offices," the official said.
A police officer in Taji said that one suicide bomber in a car and a second with an explosives belt had caused the carnage.
"A car bomb exploded at the entrance of the identity-cards office, which is next to the provincial council building.
"When people gathered, a suicide bomber in their midst exploded his belt," he said.
He added that the mayor of Taji, security officials from the city and tribal leaders were in a meeting at the provincial council offices when the bombers struck. There was no immediate word on who the casualties were.
Baghdad security spokesman Major General Qassim Atta said the blasts struck at 12 noon (0900 GMT; 1pm UAE time).
He also said that at least five people were killed by a rocket strike on the grounds of Baghdad's Al-Rasheed hotel late on Monday.
"A Katyusha rocket struck at 9 pm (1800 GMT; 1am UAE time) on Monday in the grounds of the Rasheed Hotel where workers live in mobile homes," he told AFP.
"Five people were killed and 25 trailer homes were destroyed," he said.
Atta said that security forces had arrested two men in the south Baghdad Shiite district of Zafraniyah, from where the attack was launched.
He said another Katyusha rocket, a launcher and a video camera were seized from the men.
The violence came after June saw the highest monthly death toll for Iraqis so far this year. A total of 271 were killed in attacks, according to government figures.
Fourteen US soldiers were also killed in attacks in June, making it the bloodiest month in three years for American troops, who are due to pull out by the end of the year under the terms of a bilateral security pact.
The spike in violence comes as US officials have repeatedly asked Baghdad if it wants some troops to stay beyond the scheduled pullout deadline.
Baghdad has blamed Al-Qaeda for the increased death toll for Iraqis, which was up 34 percent on May. But the US military holds Iranian-backed Shiite militias responsible for the deadly attacks on its troops.
State minister for reconciliation, Amir al-Khuzai, said on Monday that Iraq would not reconcile with members of Al-Qaeda or anyone who had killed Iraqis, but suggested it was open to talks with those who had fought American forces.
US officials have recently accused Iran of smuggling more lethal weapons to Shiite militias in Iraq, a charge Tehran denies.
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.