Miracle baby weighed 495g at birth...
Picture used for illustrative purpose only. (SUPPLIED)
MUMBAI: This baby who weighed 495 kg at birth is certainly a survivor.
Now 4-month-old and 2.4 kg, baby weighing 495 grams at birth is smallest surviving infant in India, doctors told Mid-Day.
In what is being termed as a scientific miracle, a pre-term baby girl weighing just 495 grams at birth ” probably the smallest in the country ” was presented to the world by the Oyster and Pearl Tulip Hospital after three-and-half months of care. On an average, a baby weighs 2.5-3 kg at birth.
The infant, said to be the baby with the lowest birth weight to survive in the country, was born premature at 27 weeks of pregnancy on October 2. She had to be kept in neo-natal care for 90 days. Doctors waited until the baby reached a "safe survival period" and reported the incident only after it had attained a weight of 2.4 kg.
A team of senior hospital doctors led by Dr Avinash Phadnis, director of obstetrics and gynaecology, and neo-natologist Dr Tushar Parikh have been involved in taking care of the baby so far.
Doctors said the girl, who is yet to be named, was born to Narayangaon resident Shaila Pawar (36), who had a bad obstetric history.
This was Pawar's 14th pregnancy. The previous 13 pregnancies were unsuccessful, with three abortions and three intra-uterine deaths.
Meet my daughter 'Facebook'
EGYPT: An Egyptian father has decided to name his new daughter 'Facebook' to mark his country's recent revolution
According to Al-Ahram, one of the country's most popular newspapers, the man in his 20s called Jamal Ibrahim, named his daughter after the social networking site.
He is said to have called her Facebook because he was so happy with the role played by the site in organising protests in Tahrir Square and other cities throughout Egypt.
The girl's full name is Facebook Jamal Ibrahim and her family and their friends and neighbrous are reported to have gathered around the newborn, expressing their continued support for the revolution they say started on Facebook.
In Egypt there are five million Facebook users - more than any other country in the Middle East and that number rocketed over the last month.
David Beckham counter-sued by sex worker
Irma Nici and David Beckham. (SUPPLIED)
LONDON: Soccer ace David Beckham is likely to face a court battle over allegations he cheated on his wife Victoria with a sex worker.
Sex worker Irma Nici has filed legal documents calling for lawyers to serve Beckham with a deposition ordering him to appear in the court over her allegations, which his representative has previously branded "untrue and ridiculous".
According to the mirror.co.uk, Beckham is subject to "examination before an officer authorised to administer oaths on Feb 24 (Thursday)".
Last week, Beckham's libel lawsuit over the In Touch article detailing the claims by Nici was dismissed by US District Judge Manuel Real for failing to produce evidence editors published the story with malice.
Nici claimed she was "injured" by Beckham's "people" in New York as they tried to serve her with the original libel writ.
"When Mr. Beckham sued my client, he did so in an outrageous and terrifying way," said her lawyer Paul Jensen.
He said Beckham is bound to respond to the deposition order.
"He may try to delay, reschedule or postpone it - but he can't avoid it," Jenson added.
The recent development is said to have infuriated Beckham.
"The efforts of Nici and her legal representatives to embarrass and humiliate David are utterly disgraceful. It appears she is trying to make a name for herself, garner some publicity, and make a quick buck in the process," said a source.
"David's lawyers physically disproved her accusations yet she is counter-suing - apparently desperate to make David have his day in court. David and Victoria have far more pressing issues - but David has always said he will happily stand up in court and set the record straight," the source added.
Steel magnate's 30-million-pound 'green' mansion
Lakshmi Mittal (SUPPLIED)
LONDON: India's steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal plans to build a 30 million pound mansion on the outskirts of London that designers claim will have a "zero-carbon" footprint once it is completed.
60-year-old Mittal, Britain's richest man wants to build a country home in the Surrey green belt that is self-sufficient in energy and harnesses outdoor temperature differences to create natural air-conditioning, The Sunday Times reported.
The unique modern design will not only ensure the house is zero carbon, but will make the entire 340-acre estate carbon negative.
The project is Mittal's first country home. His main home is in Kensington Palace Gardens, west London, a house bought from Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One mogul, for 57 million pounds and decorated with marble from the same quarry that supplied the Taj Mahal.
Mittal declined to comment on the Surrey Hills project, but a statement issued on his behalf by the planners said: "Reinstatement of a substantial country mansion on a grand scale is considered to present the best means of securing the long-term future of Alderbrook Park as a single, well-managed and high-quality estate."
Mittal bought the land via an offshore holding company, which disguised the identity of the purchaser. His name leaked out because correspondence between his wife, Usha, and the Royal Parks was included in the planning documents.
The house will be built on a stone plinth, which will provide various terraces on which to enjoy the cocktail hour.
It will have at least 10 bedrooms, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, a fitness centre, an under-ground art gallery, tennis courts, sculpture garden, an arboretum and croquet lawn.
Mittals will grow enough wood on the 340-acre estate to feed giant biomass fuel boilers to provide heating and hot water.
Estate workers will chop down 100 tonnes of wood a year for the boilers and plant trees to replace them.
Solar panels on two huge roofs resembling those of oast houses will turn sunlight into electricity.
Underneath each roof will be a courtyard, which will act as a "lung" for the surrounding rooms.
In the summer, natural cool air from the estate's wooded areas will be drawn into the courtyards by underground stainless steel tubes.
In the winter, solar-heated air will be drawn down from the roofs.
Although the site lies in a designated area of outstanding natural beauty near Cranleigh, Mittal hopes to win permission for its construction through a special "knockdown" deal, the report said.
Canteen takes up online spy technology
AUSTRALIA: New canteens are allowing parents to log in and spy on their children's school lunches online.
The swipe card technology also allows parents to block their kids from buying junk food.
At Kardinia International College in Geelong, students can only buy items at the canteen with an electronic card.
Principal John Goodfellow said students could load the card using a machine at school or parents could load it from the internet.
"They go up and point the card and what comes up on the screen is their photo and then the serving staff know if there are any restrictions on what they eat," he said.
"So parents can say they're not allowed to have this or not allowed to have that. If they order a pie and they're not allowed a pie, the transaction will be refused.