Girl suffers 'a thousand cuts', thanks to boyfriend

The woman's face had six to seven open cuts, with one 7-8cm long

CHINA: A 29-year-old boyfriend locked up his 16-year-old girlfriend in an apartment for more than a month and meted out horrendous treatment to her.

Initially he hit her once every day. From there he progressed to beating her up with belts, metal rods and even a butchering kife to abuse her.

She finally managed to escape from the apartment when her abuser had gone out to meet his friends. Hardened police officials were horrfied to see the girl's state as she was covered with numerous cuts, bruises, swellings and scabs.

One of the officials told Asia One: "You can’t see any skin on her back as it is all scabs from wounds,” said one officer. Her face had six to seven open cuts, with one 7 to 8cm long."

She was in so much pain that she could hardly bear to wear clothes as the material would stick to her open wounds.

She also suffered a hip bone fracture as a result of those injuries.

No flesh in stomach of 'Miami Zombie'

There was no human flesh in the stomach of the man dubbed the "Miami Zombie", an autopsy has revealed.

 ..But there was human flesh lodged between the teeth of Rudy Eugene, despite him missing his two top front teeth.

A Miami police officer shot and killed Eugene, 31, last month as he attacked a homeless man in broad daylight, tearing off his face with his teeth.

Police found chunks of victim Ronald Poppo's flesh on the ground, as if they had been spat out.

Eugene was known to have lost his two front teeth in an accident as a child and police found a set of gold teeth in the pockets of his pants discarded on the causeway where the attack occurred.

An autopsy preliminary review reported there were undigested pills in his stomach, but investigators have not identified them yet, a law enforcement source told McClatchy Newspapers.

Family and friends gathered on Saturday to say a tearful goodbye to Eugene, whose body lay in a silver and grey casket topped with white blossoms in front of Miami's Grace Funeral Home.

The person that everyone remembered was a loving relative and close friend - not the crazed, naked man who shocked the world with an attack so bizarre it still defies explanation.

No one at the service could understand the situation that led Miami police to shoot Eugene several times to stop the vicious attack.

Detectives are still trying to piece together Eugene's final hours. He was last reported parking his car in South Beach, where people from across the nation had gathered for Urban Beach Week, about four hours before the attack.

But his whereabouts in that four-hour gap are unknown. Just before Eugene pounced on Poppo, a motorist called 911 to report a man on the causeway shedding his clothes and swinging from a light pole.

Traces of marijuana in system

Eugene's autopsy records have not been released to the public and will likely not become available until Miami-Dade prosecutors finish their review of the shooting, which could take more than a year.

The preliminary review found the presence of marijuana in Eugene's system, a law enforcement source said, which was no surprise because his family and friends widely reported he was fond of smoking pot.

But marijuana doesn't usually spark violent attacks. Whether the pills found in his stomach played a role in Eugene's outburst of violence is not yet known. Toxicology tests will take weeks to complete.

Investigators assume some type of drug fuelled Eugene's bizarre behaviour, but they have no indication he may have used "bath salts", a synthetic stimulant that in some cases can lead to psychotic episodes, paranoia and violence.

Miami's police union has speculated Eugene might have been acting under the influence of this drug.

Fuelled by the internet and widespread interest in the macabre case, some media reports have dubbed Eugene the "Causeway Cannibal'' and the "Miami Zombie''.

The chatter even led the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to issue a statement last week denying the existence of a zombie virus, and Los Angeles celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred to hold a much-panned news conference in Miami decrying the ills of cannibalism.

A big brother remembered for kindness

At Eugene’s memorial service, his younger brother Markenson Charles described him as "the type of person who would give you his last''.

"If he had it, it was yours,'' Charles told the crowd of about 150.

He described a big brother who would pay his mobile phone bill and throw in a little extra cash when money was tight.

“Those are the moments I cherish the most, him being a big brother to me,'' Charles said.

Ruth Charles, dressed in a black and white polka dot skirt and white blazer, shuffled slowly to the front pew, past her son's casket. With her head bowed and tears streaming down her face, she swayed from side to side.

Pastor Keny Felix, who had known Eugene since childhood when he attended Sunday school at Bethel Baptist Evangelical Church, told the crowd to also remember Poppo, the 65-year-old victim of the attack.

Poppo is recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where a source said he had already undergone skin grafts to help repair his mangled face.

The torn-off skin from Poppo's face - dead tissue that lay on the concrete sidewalk under the hot sun after the attack - could not be used to help reconstruct his face, the source said.

Poppo has so far been unable to tell Miami detectives what happened.

Man dies while trimming palm tree

A US man died after he became tangled in a palm tree while trimming the branches, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The 35-year-old was working in the tree about 5pm local time when he became caught in the tree's branches.
Los Angeles County Fire Captaineve Lopez said firefighters responded to a report that the man was in distress.
Upon arrival at the scene, they were unable to locate the man in the tree. They used a thermal imagery device to find him.
He was found stuck 30-feet (9m) up in the tree, and was unconscious. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Lopez said the coroner's office is working to establish the cause of the man's death.

Mother beheads infant, eats part of his brain

San Antonio police say a woman accused of beheading her 3-week-old infant son used a knife and two swords in the attack and ate some of the child's body parts.
San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told reporters Monday that Otty Sanchez's attack on her son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, was "too heinous" to fully discuss.
But he says Sanchez ate part of the newborn's brain and bit off three of his toes before stabbing herself twice.
Police say the 33-year-old Sanchez told officers who were called to her house early Sunday that she killed her son at the devil's request.
Sanchez is charged with capital murder and is being held on $1 million bail. She is recovering from her wounds at a hospital.

Pakistan probes into wedding video 'killings'

Pakistan's Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered police and government officials to fly to a mountain village to investigate whether four women were killed for clapping and singing as men danced at a wedding.
Footage of the wedding, filmed on a mobile phone, appeared on television stations recently.
A brother of the men who were dancing told journalists that a tribal council ordered the killings because the women violated tribal honor in the remote northern village of Gizar Alitray.
"I say this under oath, I swear it, the girls have been killed under orders from a tribal court. They were killed on May 30. I fear for my life, for my brothers," Afzal Khan told reporters outside the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
The case has focused attention on honor killings in Pakistan, a largely conservative Muslim country.
Families or tribes often take justice into their own hands. Gatherings of elders hand down punishments that include the rape or killing of women for crimes including falling in love with a man deemed inappropriate, or besmirching family honor. Fraternizing and dancing between men and women is frowned upon.
Almost 1,000 women were killed in the name of honor in the South Asian nation last year, according to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. Activists say the actual number is much higher as a majority of cases go unreported.
Government officials, from Interior Minister Rehman Malik, to regional police officers and administrators, said they had no knowledge of any such killings in the village of Gizar Alitray. But local officials have so far failed to provide proof that the women are still alive.
"So far, according to our information, nothing like this has happened," Malik told reporters. "The chief justice is right, though, if the women are alive, produce them."
In the grainy video, two boys dance as four women sing and clap while sitting. No frame shows the men and women together, raising the possibility the video was doctored.
The Supreme Court told officials if they believed the women were alive, they should go to the village, by helicopter if necessary, and find them.
Officials attempted to reach Gizar Alitray but bad weather forced them to land in another village.
"Our helicopter is stuck here. We will try to go there again tomorrow morning," one of the officials, Khalid Umarzai, told Reuters by telephone.

  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular


Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...

Happiness Meter Icon