AVB backs £50m Torres to fire against Man Utd
Chelsea's £50 million flop Fernando Torres may be winning over sympathetic fans and is definitely hungry for goals.
But unless he really starts scoring and ends his four-month goal drought, Torres would become a major embarrassment in the Premier League.
The Spaniard's all-round game continues to impress Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas and he still has the backing of the Stamford Bridge faithful.
Arsenal legend Ian Wright wants him to rediscover the form he enjoyed at Liverpool, but he warned the time for excuses is over.
Wright told The Sun: "I haven't got a clue why it's not happening for him.
"I don't know, is he not doing enough work on his game in respects of after training? Is he still getting himself in the right positions?
"It seems to me he is but for £50 million you don't want someone to assist, you want someone to score.
"For me, maybe they should be channeling everything through him and making even more chances.
"But when you see him sometimes, it's not only that he's missing chances — he's missing chances he shouldscore."
Torres is buoyed by the support of Blues fans since his move from Anfield a year ago despite his dismal form in front of goal.
The Spanish ace has scored just five times in 44 Chelsea appearances and has not hit the target in the Premier League since September 24 and was then sent off against Swansea.
With Didier Drogba on national duty at the Afican Cup, Torres, 27, is back in Villas-Boas' plans to face Manchester United on Sunday after being sidelined earlier this season.
Torres said: "I'm trying to get better. Sometimes you must work hard.
"I'll keep doing that and hopefully lift a cup here.
"The start of the season was one of the hardest moments of my career. But the fans got behind me and they've given me something to fight for."
Whether he can rise to the occasion and deliver in the big game against Manchester United remains to be seen.
He could not only end his personal nightmare but bring a smile back to Chelsea whose title hopes are as good as over.
Three and a half months, 17 games or 1,000-plus minutes without a goal make sorry reading for the Spain striker, who is danger of being remembered as one of the most expensive flops in the history of football.
“The only thing that gave me hope was the support of the people. That game against Wolverhampton showed me there are important things to fight for – the love of the fans, the support of the club,” he told Chelsea TV.
Villas-Boas believes Torres could finally come good against a United side he believes are title favourites again.
“Mentally he is ready and eventually something will trigger it,” warned the manager. “It could be against Manchester United... hopefully it will be.
“We have spoken to Fernando about the goals, but we are not just looking for Fernando the goalscorer, we are looking for Fernando the player as well. His performance with or without goals gives him credibility and he has had tremendous team impact recently.”
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.