Newcastle's Cabaye charged by FA - Emirates24|7

Newcastle's Cabaye charged by FA

France midfielder Yohan Cabaye has been charged with violent conduct following an incident during Premier League side Newcastle's FA Cup defeat by Brighton on Saturday.

The Football Association said on Monday Cabaye had been charged after allegedly kicking out at Championship side Brighton's Egyptian defender Adam El Abd.

An FA statement said: "Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye has been charged with violent conduct following an incident in the FA Cup fourth round tie against Brighton Hove Albion.

"Cabaye was involved in an incident involving Brighton's Adam El Abd during the FA Cup tie at the Amex Stadium on Saturday 28 January.

"Cabaye has until 6pm (1800GMT) on Tuesday, January 31 2012 to respond to the charge."

The 26-year-old Cabaye faces a three-match ban if he accepts or is found guilty of the charge and that ban could be increased if he challenges the allegation and fails.

If Cabaye pleads guilty, he would miss Wednesday's Premier League trip to Blackburn, Sunday's home clash with Aston Villa and the match against title-chasing Tottenham the following weekend.

The France international joined sixth-placed Newcastle in a £4.3million move from French double winners Lille last year.

His absence would be a big blow for the north-east side, especially as Cabaye's regular central midfield partner Cheick Tiote is still away on Africa Cup of Nations duty with the Ivory Coast.


 

Comments

Comments