Villas-Boas says Terry saga 'unfortunate' - Emirates24|7

Villas-Boas says Terry saga 'unfortunate'

Chelsea's John Terry (left) goes up for a header with Anton Ferdinand of Queens Park Rangers during the FA Cup fourth round match at Loftus Road on January 28 in London, England. (FILE)

Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas late on Saturday blasted the fallout from skipper John Terry's pending racism case as an undignified spectacle.

"It is an unfortunate event and an event which doesn't dignify British football," Villa-Boas said.

"We have to let the persons be called to court and the court make the necessary decision," added Villas-Boas, who praised Terry's "amazing" performances while the whole affair has dragged on since he was accused of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during a match last year.

Terry was stripped of the England captaincy for the second time in two years on Friday amid concern the case and the media fallout had made his position untenable.

In some quarters of the media there have been calls for the veteran defender to be left out of the Euro 2012 party altogether while he concentrates on trying to clear his name.

The English Football Association confirmed in a statement on Friday that chairman David Bernstein had contacted Terry to inform him of the body's decision to remove him as captain until the racism allegations were "resolved."

Terry, 31, strongly denies the charges and has vowed to clear his name. However the decision this week to delay his court case until July 9 left FA chiefs with the prospect of the saga overshadowing England's Euro 2012 campaign.

The FA statement did stress, however, that Terry could still represent England in Poland and the Ukraine this summer.

Villas-Boas indicated he did not agree with the FA move and insisted last Friday that "John will continue to be our captain."


 

Comments

Comments