Conte expecting things to get tougher for Juve
Juventus coach Antonio Conte is expecting a tougher second half to the season for his unbeaten Serie A table-toppers ahead of Sunday's trip to Lecce.
Juventus are joint top alongside AC Milan and haven't lost in 16 league games as well as one Cup match.
But while their main title rivals were juggling European and domestic engagements before Christmas, they will all be free of those for the best part of the next two months.
And Conte also believes that Juve's unexpected early form will see them treated as more of a threat from now on.
"So far we've had a great season but we need to continue improving, starting with tomorrow," he said at Saturday's press conference.
"From now on I expect things to get more difficult with respect to the beginning of the season because none of our rivals expected us to be so strong.
"Our first objective was to regain credibility (following successive seventh placed finishes) in the eyes of our fans and given the welcome we got in Dubai, and in Casarano (where they played friendlies) I would say that's been achieved.
"Now we have to maintain that credibility and that should be our first step."
Conte admitted, however, to having some doubts about how the team will react after the winter break.
"We went into it on the back of a series of 16 useful results but then we had to stop and so there's a question mark," he said.
"But we've worked hard on our legs and head and I'm confident."
Starting the year against the league's basement sitters would seem ideal but Conte won't be taking Lecce lightly, although he expects to win.
"They have quality in their squad with (Luis) Muriel, (David) Di Michele, (Ruben) Olivera, (Guillermo) Giacomazzi and (Juan) Cuadrado.
"But we're Juventus and we shouldn't be afraid of anyone."
Conte added former Italy striker Marco Borriello to his squad earlier this week but he says the big forward will have to earn a starting berth.
He insisted that current first choice Alessandro Matri and substitute Fabio Quagliarella have no reason not to believe they can keep him out.
"I'm happy he's arrived, Marco gives us another alternative but he still needs to enter into our mentality and our way of playing," said Conte.
"It's up to him to work hard to unseat the current hierarchy and earn a starting place.
"As for Matri he's having a good season, one a great player would.
"We'll keep five forwards and I'm also happy with Quagliarella.
"I am happy with the way the team is progressing but we haven't achieved any objectives yet.
"All we know is that we're on the right path."
|Gerrard can inspire Liverpool
Cup run - Spearing
'Advantage' City as Newcastle
Suarez 'apologises' for 'negro' comments
|Man Utd on alert for
Chelsea target Cahill
|PSG target Kaka and
Follow Emirates 24|7 on Google News.