One cigarette butt kills farm worker in Dubai

He died of suffocation in a fire

An Asian farm worker died of suffocation in a fire that was caused by throwing of a burning cigarette butt by one of his colleagues in Dubai.

The workers have just left their house for the farm in the morning when the victim returned to have breakfast, police said.

“When he returned to the housing complex, he did not notice the small fire that has just started to flare…after the fire spread, he could not escape as he died of asphyxia,” a police source said, quoted by the Arabic language daily Emarat Al Youm.

Police records showed cigarettes and other burning objects emerged as the second causer of fires in Dubai after electric accidents, sparking 85 fires in 2012. 

Print
  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular on Emirates 24|7

Videos

Follow
Emirates 24|7

Follow
Emirates 24|7
Pinterest Facebook Facebook Twitter RSS

Latest jobs available

More jobs on Emirates 24|7

Technology

Property

Most Popular on Emirates 24|7