Dh300m spent on cosmetic procedures in UAE
47% of those seeking beauty treatment are men
The UAE has always been the aesthetic surgery hub of the region. A whopping Dh300 million spent on cosmetic surgery in the Emirates last year is just enough proof.
And men are increasingly getting hooked on to the power of looks.
According to a top official at the Emirates Medical Association, of the people who opted to go under the knife in 2010, 47 per cent were men, which is a seven per cent rise from that of the previous year.
Dr Ali Numeiri, Chief, Plastic Surgery Division, Emirates Medical Association,was quoted as saying by Al Ittihad newspaper that Dh300m was spent in the UAE onvarious procedures.
The most popular were liposuction, breast enhancement andrhinoplasty. While face lift and otoplasty were also done in considerablenumbers.
Among men, hair treatment has been very popular. In the 1990s only eight per cent men chose cosmetic surgeries, but awareness increased their numbers to 47 per cent, he added.
However, overall cosmetic surgery spent in the UAE declined 40 per cent in 2010 compared to that of 2008, Dr Numeiri added.
Dr Numeiri was speaking at an annual conference on breast cosmetic surgery in Dubai. Plastic surgeons and authorities from various public and private sector establishments worldwide attended the forum.
The Division of Plastic Surgery, Emirates Medical Association, has been in operation for the last 18 years. It began with just seven members.
Latest jobs available
- Data Entry ClerkFairco Intl. ,Beirut, Lebanon2014-03-09
- Executive Secretary - Filipino Only - TRANSFERABLE IQAMAHoshanco Holding ,Riyadh, Saudi Arabia2014-03-09
- Quality ControllerMezzan Holding ,Al Kuwait, Kuwait2014-03-09
- Regional HR Manager, Gulf Region3D Recruiters ,Dubai, United Arab Emirates2014-03-09
- Lighting DesignerArmada Co. Ltd. ,Riyadh, Saudi Arabia2014-03-09